Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Oatmeal stout - thoughts welcome please

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #31
Gunge

Liked 899 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran12s View Post
Worked an absolute treat in the mash tun..
Glad for you! My gut feeling about not being so good as a hopback was right - oh well. I've messed around with all manner of stuff to get that right, and whilst I think there's room for improvement (as ever) the best, and by far the simplest I've found is nothing more than a scrunched-up stainless steel scouring pad* inserted into the bore of the boiler tap. If you haven't tried it, have a go - you might be very surprised.
*Those shiny, soap-free, coarse-cut balls of SS, not brillo pads or anything like that!
Dutto Likes This 
Old 04-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #32
Ciaran12s

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
Glad for you! My gut feeling about not being so good as a hopback was right - oh well. I've messed around with all manner of stuff to get that right, and whilst I think there's room for improvement (as ever) the best, and by far the simplest I've found is nothing more than a scrunched-up stainless steel scouring pad* inserted into the bore of the boiler tap. If you haven't tried it, have a go - you might be very surprised.
*Those shiny, soap-free, coarse-cut balls of SS, not brillo pads or anything like that!
I've seen that talked about on a couple of sites but tbh I didn't have much confidence in it working. I shall give it a try next time. Cheers!