Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Is this normal?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #31
Gerryjo

Liked 747 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_ View Post
I have some smart water (vapour distilled) and went to calibrate the refractometer with it.. but when I put the smart water on, it already read 1.00

I think the issue is that I didn't know that the alcohol content would skew the results of the refratometer. It looks like it's better to use a refractometer for OG reading while brewing, and maybe a hydrometer for the FG readings when fermenting. Either that or try to decipher the hydrometer calculator lol
That's exactly what I tend to do as I got caught out using the refractometer to check FG,but when checked against the hydrometer the reading was askew as I was not using a correction factor to allow for the alcohol.
Now I use the refractometer on brew day and the hydrometer for the rest.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #32
Cwrw666

Liked 591 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Never took a sample in all my life - take a clean hydrometer, rinse it in boiling water, then lift the lid and put it in the FV. Never had an infected brew doing this, but there again I only take a reading when I'm pretty sure fermentation has ceased after 2 weeks. I only really do it to check I haven't got a stuck fermentation and to work out the ABV.
Some curl-eye kale,
But give I boiled parsnips
And a girt dish o taters
And a pint of good ale.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #33
_jon_

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 30

In the absence of anything else (at the moment), I just sanitised an auto siphon and siphoned off just enough to fill the trial jar. Tested it with the hydrometer, and it's reading about 1.009 - 1.010 (hard to tell as I was too impatient to wait for the small head to fully dissipate.

So assuming that the Hydrometer is a good reading, (it's reading 1.000 in water)... and assuming I don't have to account for alcohol with a hydrometer? (I don't think I do)... Then...

1.039 OG
1.010 FG

ABV 3.81%

If all is true, then I'm wondering whether it's worth keeping. Maybe I'll keg it, stick in the corner and keep it a few months... see what it tastes like. I had a small sample from the trial jar, and it tastes like very bland wheat beer.

Not very impressed tbh.

Fingers crossed that my Punk IPA is going to be okay. But I didn't take an OG from it, so won't be able to work out the ABV. As long as it tastes good, the ABV doesn't matter.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #34
_jon_

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwrw666 View Post
Never took a sample in all my life - take a clean hydrometer, rinse it in boiling water, then lift the lid and put it in the FV. Never had an infected brew doing this, but there again I only take a reading when I'm pretty sure fermentation has ceased after 2 weeks. I only really do it to check I haven't got a stuck fermentation and to work out the ABV.
Most of my FV are carboys. If I drop a hydro in I'd never get it back out!

I have been thinking I should start fermenting in buckets, it does seem to make more sense and be more practical.

I've got a fermentasaurus for my next brew, which is going to make life nice and easy as I'll be able to remove the screw jar from the bottom of the butterfly valve. Once I've dumped the trub, it'll be just beer in the collection bottle.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #35
Pavros

Liked 106 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwrw666 View Post
I never rinse my hydrometer in boiling water. I'm scared that it will soften the glue holding the paper scale in place which will then move and give a false reading. Lukewarm water and then sanitise for me.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #36
terrym

Liked 1612 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_ View Post
So assuming that the Hydrometer is a good reading, (it's reading 1.000 in water)... and assuming I don't have to account for alcohol with a hydrometer? (I don't think I do)... Then...

1.039 OG
1.010 FG

ABV 3.81%

If all is true, then I'm wondering whether it's worth keeping. Maybe I'll keg it, stick in the corner and keep it a few months... see what it tastes like. I had a small sample from the trial jar, and it tastes like very bland wheat beer.

Not very impressed tbh.

Fingers crossed that my Punk IPA is going to be okay. But I didn't take an OG from it, so won't be able to work out the ABV. As long as it tastes good, the ABV doesn't matter.
Although wheat beers are not usually big on hops, if you are a bit unhappy about your wheat beer being bland you could always bump up the hop flavour with a hop tea or dry hop. Hallertau or Tettnager are often used in wheat beers. Another suggestion is to add coriander and orange peel (boiled to sterilise) but I have no personal experience of this so others may be able to advise if you are interested.