Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Lagunitas recipe - anybody brewed a clone before?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Blinky

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Lagunitas recipe - anybody brewed a clone before?

I love Lagunitas and want to brew a clone.... I found various online recipes that all seem similar, usually the same grain bill but but some have centennial and other only cascade. Anyways today I was looking at the beer on RateBeer.com and the spiel on there from Lagunitas themselves, mentions 43 different hops! That’s a heck of a lot and I have never seen any home brew clones of this beer with anything more than 4 or 5 hops. Just wondered if anybody had cloned this beer and felt it was similar/the same as the original?
Here is my recipe:https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...6560/lagunitas
Here is where I got it from:https://byo.com/body/item/153-attack-of-the-hop-clones
And here is the rate beer page saying it has 43 hops..... https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/laguni...-ale-ipa/6887/

Old 04-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4405 Times on 3335 Posts
Likes Given: 4636

Not a style I enjoy. But I just looked at their site out of curiosity and it say 43 different hops and 65 different malts go into this beer. I think they must be have a bit of a laugh

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 04-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
Blinky

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah I reckon it’s just a sales pitch!

Old 04-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
Saisonator

Liked 145 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 146

If I you stick that many malts and hops together, surely you'll just end up with a kind of homogeneous product with no specific characteristics.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
Sadfield

Liked 432 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 97

It's a joke.

"A well-rounded, highly drinkable IPA. A bit of Caramel Malt barley provides the richness that mellows out the twang of the hops.“

Cascade or Centennial, they are pretty similar. Even YCH hops describe Centennial as Super-Cascade.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Old 04-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
AdeDunn

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you mean Lagunitas IPA, there's a recipe for it in Clone Brews volume 2 (Tess & Mark Szamatulski), and no it doesn't contain all that. For obvious reasons I'm not going to reproduce the recipe here for you I'm afraid (copyright and all that).

Old 04-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Sadfield

Liked 432 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeDunn View Post
If you mean Lagunitas IPA, there's a recipe for it in Clone Brews volume 2 (Tess & Mark Szamatulski), and no it doesn't contain all that. For obvious reasons I'm not going to reproduce the recipe here for you I'm afraid (copyright and all that).
Would love to see all three actual recipes for Lagunitas IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Goose Island IPA. I bet there is very little difference in the recipes. Yet all different for being brewed on different kit. And why so difficult to clone exactly.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Old 04-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
AdeDunn

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hmmm.

The Lagunitas IPA recipe in the book reckons Horizon for bittering, then

Willamette + Cascade

Centennial + Cascade

Centennial + Cascade

Then a dry hop of ......

Cascade + Centennial....

Almost like the authors switched the order to vary things a little.... Very few surprises in the malt bill.

As books go it's good, but annoying, as the recipes are given for extract, with the all grain given as an after thoughts. I've gotten used to books doing it the other way around in my brief time of reading them.