Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #421
britton
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 91
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Hmmm this has turned out perfectly, such a nice taste.
Attached Thumbnails
6FFB0933-C31C-4396-BAF3-BE76528BA30D.jpg  
britton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #422
Clandestine
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 19
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Ey up chaps. first post from a new member here.

this will be my 5th brew (all from kits) and im going to follow the instructions pretty much word for word..

after reading this entire thread, i am however a little concerned it wont be as hoppy as i would like..
would anybody recommend me adding a bit extra when dry-hopping? and if so can anybody suggest a suitable amount (roughly speaking) and variety?

or should I stick to the book and stop getting ahead of myself?
Clandestine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #423
LS29Brewer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 11
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clandestine View Post
Ey up chaps. first post from a new member here.

this will be my 5th brew (all from kits) and im going to follow the instructions pretty much word for word..

after reading this entire thread, i am however a little concerned it wont be as hoppy as i would like..
would anybody recommend me adding a bit extra when dry-hopping? and if so can anybody suggest a suitable amount (roughly speaking) and variety?

or should I stick to the book and stop getting ahead of myself?
If it is your first time for this kit I would follow the instructions to the letter. I always do this first time on a kit - then you get a good impression of where the kit ranks in the scheme of things. If you start off with modifications then you don't know if it was your tinkering that messed things up or...

I have made this kit 3 times now 1st, 2nd times I followed instructions (the kit changed a bit between 1st and 2nd - different yeast mainly) but got different results - due to the yeast imo.

Am just drinking the third version. I dropped all the included hops and used 100g Citra (30g boil for 5-minutes and in FV at start and then 70g dry hopping after 10 days in primary) I swapped the yeast for Safale US-05. The results are really excellent (I like Citra), but more like 6.7% ABV then 7.1% and totally different product from previous versions.
LS29Brewer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #424
Clandestine
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 19
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS29Brewer View Post
If it is your first time for this kit I would follow the instructions to the letter. I always do this first time on a kit - then you get a good impression of where the kit ranks in the scheme of things. If you start off with modifications then you don't know if it was your tinkering that messed things up or...

I have made this kit 3 times now 1st, 2nd times I followed instructions (the kit changed a bit between 1st and 2nd - different yeast mainly) but got different results - due to the yeast imo.

Am just drinking the third version. I dropped all the included hops and used 100g Citra (30g boil for 5-minutes and in FV at start and then 70g dry hopping after 10 days in primary) I swapped the yeast for Safale US-05. The results are really excellent (I like Citra), but more like 6.7% ABV then 7.1% and totally different product from previous versions.
Yeah i did worry i was getting ahead of myself! i'll stick to the letter with it.. first time at least
Clandestine is offline  
LS29Brewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #425
Spike101uk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 180
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Gonna start this Tuesday after having the kit many months, can't wait like a few others mine didnt come with a 25g yeast pack but a mere 11g so will add a us-05 or a CML us pale ale yeast too to get things fully fermented,
Spike101uk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #426
Spike101uk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 180
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Finally started this, brewed to 23 litres , 1065 OG and it's in the porch under my new heatpad and inkbird 308 controller, will give it a couple of weeks at least.

Also used 2 packets of us pale ale yeast 22g in total
Spike101uk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #427
Clandestine
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 19
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike101uk View Post
Finally started this, brewed to 23 litres , 1065 OG and it's in the porch under my new heatpad and inkbird 308 controller, will give it a couple of weeks at least.

Also used 2 packets of us pale ale yeast 22g in total
what was the 2nd yeast you used please? let us know how it goes
Clandestine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #428
Spike101uk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 180
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clandestine View Post
what was the 2nd yeast you used please? let us know how it goes
Didn't use kit yeast as I had the smaller packet some people get I used a US-05 and a CML us pale ale yeast, certainly took off after an hour the bucket was firm and lid bulging
Spike101uk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Newest Threads