Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Youngs American IPA

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #761
Brutalsoul

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottle day!

So went to bottle on friday and SG had dropped to 1.008 annoyingly so as advised by documentation left it a few more days before checking again where it stayed so was able to bottle today! Hops in for a total of 7 days now just to wait a few weeks before cold crashing and might just get lucky to have first bottle Xmas day! If not then my NYE is def sorted !! Aslong as ive not messed something up along the way haha

Old 04-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #762
terrym

Liked 1623 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 718

@Brutalsoul
I found this beer can be drunk young. So now it's bottled put it somewhere nice and warm for carbing for a week to ten days and then find a cold place. Then as soon as its clear its ready to drink imo. Which may be by New Years Eve. And its no good keeping it for months since the effect of the massive dry hop hop will be declining.
Enjoy

Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #763
Pavros

Liked 116 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
@Brutalsoul
I found this beer can be drunk young. So now it's bottled put it somewhere nice and warm for carbing for a week to ten days and then find a cold place. Then as soon as its clear its ready to drink imo. Which may be by New Years Eve. And its no good keeping it for months since the effect of the massive dry hop hop will be declining.
Enjoy
I found these kits cleared quite quickly so it might be ready the week before Christmas

Old 04-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #764
DavidHatton

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalsoul View Post
So went to bottle on friday and SG had dropped to 1.008 annoyingly so as advised by documentation left it a few more days before checking again where it stayed so was able to bottle today! Hops in for a total of 7 days now just to wait a few weeks before cold crashing and might just get lucky to have first bottle Xmas day! If not then my NYE is def sorted !! Aslong as ive not messed something up along the way haha
Just popped a bottle this evening, was in the cellar 10 days at temps around 8c perfectly drinkable even at this age!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #765
AdeDunn

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I found something else that works well with this kit. I dry hopped mine for 6 days rather than for 4. At first it was maybe just a bit too fruity, however when it "dropped off the cliff" after a few weeks from the dry hop fade that seems to be a thing for these kits it became PERFECT! I'm talking as good as, if not better, than either Dead Pony Club or Punk IPA (not had any other AIPAs to be honest to compare to... lol) with a lovely bitter, hoppy, flavour.

A truly delicious kit that needs nothing adding to it at all.
pms67 Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #766
Eddie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Started mine off on the 22nd October with an SG of 1053. Added hops on 13th November when it had been at 1008 for a few days. Transferred to barrel and some bottles on 18th. Kept warm before moving to the garage on December 2nd.
I know it's still young, but thought I would crack a bottle to try. Opened with a nice hiss and had a bit of a head when poured. It's not that clear but it does taste more than okay. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the fizz. It's very fizzy /gassy but not in a horrible way. Anybody else experienced this, and is it because it is still in it's early days?

Cheers

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #767
terrym

Liked 1623 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
It's not that clear but it does taste more than okay. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the fizz. It's very fizzy /gassy but not in a horrible way. Anybody else experienced this, and is it because it is still in it's early days?

Cheers
This style of beer should be served with highish carbonation which is what you are finding.
More here
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
I also found that this beer takes its time to clear, although others apparently don't. If you can put a few at the back of the fridge it will encourage the yeast to settle.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #768
Eddie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the response Terry, that makes me feel better. I will bring a couple of bottles in from the garage and put them in the back of the fridge and try not to drink them just yet!

I must admit it does taste a lot better than my first brew, a Wherry, which I found to be a bit 'thin' if that's the right word. This has much more body to it.