Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Bottling tips - Newbie

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 29-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #21
Leemond

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
I'm in the bottling bucket camp. After cold crashing the FV I'll (auto)siphon the beer to my 25L bucket which has the boiled priming sugar in it.
When I had done AG kits it said to put a small amount of the priming solution in each bottle before adding the beer... I'm guessing from your post you don't need to do this and can simply add the beer to the already mixed solution and then bottle from there?

How much sugar to water do you use?

Old 30-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #22
Zephyr259

Liked 91 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemond View Post
When I had done AG kits it said to put a small amount of the priming solution in each bottle before adding the beer... I'm guessing from your post you don't need to do this and can simply add the beer to the already mixed solution and then bottle from there?

How much sugar to water do you use?
Yeah, it's referred to as batch priming and it's a common way of doing it as provided the solution is evenly mixed then every bottle will get the same dose which reduces the risk of over carbonating some bottles.

I calculate the sugar required for each brew depending on batch size, highest temp seen during fermentation and carbonation required. I just add "some" water to the sugar so it dissolves easily and isn't a thick syrup after boiling since I don't want to have to scrape the pan or rinse it with beer since these coould increase risk of infection or oxidation and I'm lazy. I've heard of people using beer to boil the sugar to avoid diluting the batch.

This link explains the batch priming process. I've primed and bottled straight from primary before but I now use a bottling bucket to avoid rousing the yeast.

This one gives the amount of sugar required.

Good luck.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-

Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #23
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1827 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 3951

Quote:
Where did you get the filter from? I've realised my big auto siphon is missing the cap on the end so it sucks directly from the bottom and hoovers up all the yeast... If I can't find the cap this looks like a good solution.
Sorry for the delay - been up to Edinburgh to see G-Gdaughter. (All joints still ache!)

Got the filters from here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The double one is just one with a hole drilled through.

Enjoy.

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
Vienna Lager with Hallertau (12/11/17)
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter (12/11/17)
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup (12/11/17)
Low ABV Pale Ale (19/11/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Spiced Pumpkin Ale

Fermenting
Golden Pumpkin Ale

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.
Zephyr259 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #24
Leemond

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:

This link explains the batch priming process. I've primed and bottled straight from primary before but I now use a bottling bucket to avoid rousing the yeast.

This one gives the amount of sugar required.

Good luck.
Just caught up on this reply (had posted on another thread about putting a small amount in each bottle). Thanks, I will look into the batch priming method

Old 10-12-2017, 03:16 AM   #25
Drunkula

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg3 View Post
I turned a FV into a bottling bucket with a 6 quid tap complete with bottling wand from wilkos and a 2.5 inch drill. Made it water tight with Vaseline. I disassemble after each brew and sanitise before the next.

Bottles clear in no time.
You could add two and bottle with each hand.

Tags
bottling, bottling wand