Graham Wheeler what extract type?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvb

Reaction score
Hi
Recently bought Graham Wheeler Camra Brew Days

Most of the AG recipes can be done as extracts but I noted it only ever says to use a premium extract but never what colour / style.

Is this an overbite? I thought the type, dark light etc was really important.

Thanks

Yeah, I recently made a brew up with Amber malt extract as it's all my LHBS had and it came out very amber, in fact more like red.

I prefer dried malt extract to liquid these days, as you don't seem to get the twang.

See that's what I thought. The extract colour impacts the beer. So was surprised a stout uses the same as an IPA

See that's what I thought. The extract colour impacts the beer. So was surprised a stout uses the same as an IPA

All you're doing with extract brewing is substituting extract for the base malt, both of which are pale. You use additional steeped grains such as Crystal Malt, Chocolate malt, Black Malt etc in the darker beers, and this stage is the same for extract as it is for AG.

Hi!
Page 101, final paragraph: "Pale coloured malt extract should be used in all cases."

Thanks. So this might sound real dumb, but why are there so many extract types available? Light, dark etc?

Back