Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Wheat Beer Advice

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
_jon_

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well I do like this idea... I guess that will kick the ABV up to where it needs to be. But just average light malt? And I guess I'd need to mix it up to disturb the yeast?

Old 05-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #12
stigman

Liked 158 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The one and only wheat beer I did added both for last 5/10 of the boil. If your OG was very low my suggestion must be better. whack some dme in a pot and gain yourself those missing gravity points as well.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
_jon_

Yeah I think you're right. Apologies, as I didn't see your initial post. Must have posted at the same time as Slid. You were already bang on.

One think I should mention... I'm not at all concerned about the cost of ingredients (I only have one hobby, which is making beer... so I don't mind spending a couple of quid on it). And I also have time to brew, I work from my home office.. so I don't really have to wait for the weekend.

With this in mind, why am I bothering trying to save this beer? Since it's going to need another week or so in the FV if I add DME etc. Maybe i'm better off ditching it and brewing again? This time making sure I'm up to speed with the OG and don't forget anything...

Old 05-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #14
Saisonator

Liked 130 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slid View Post
I would add hot water to the peel and crushed coriander, say in a jam jar or something overnight and pour the water in the next day through a sieve.

Water temps? Ask me another! Maybe 80C?

Wheat beer is an awkward cuss of a brew for me in the Grainfather - had to handball the mash, sparge, boil etc on my second wheat beer.
The first one I did was a step mash and it stuck to the base like s**t to a blanket, burnt so bad that I had to dump the wort. Second one turned out alright, well I can say that for sure when it finishes carbing on Saturday.

I think you need 300g of rice hulls to keep it flowing.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
_jon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisonator View Post
The first one I did was a step mash and it stuck to the base like s**t to a blanket, burnt so bad that I had to dump the wort. Second one turned out alright, well I can say that for sure when it finishes carbing on Saturday.

I think you need 300g of rice hulls to keep it flowing.
Mine went through the mash tun fine, but I've got a false bottom as opposed to a pickup. I've read about people needing rice hulls, and I did look for them, but I can't get them anywhere.

Might have a change of heart with regards to the wheat beer, as I kegged my Punk IPA last night, carbed it... had a tiny taste this morning and it's not good! Hopefully it'll get better with age, but it's a bit sour.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
Dexter101

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 212

unless a beer is undrinkable I don't see the point in getting rid of it. You could always brew another batch extra strong and then blend the 2 after FV ready for bottling?

Wines
Forum Rose- primary fermenting- 30th August 2017
Matcha Green Tea- primary fermenting- 1st September 2017
Coffee Port- Planning
Ginger- Planning

Beers
Citra Smash- planning
Proper Job Clone- Fermenting- 16th October 2017
Doom Bar Clone- Fermenting- 8th October 2017
Liquorice Saison- Planning
Ella Pale Ale- Drinking

My food blog can be read- www.traveleatsurf.com

Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
BeerCat

Liked 687 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covrich View Post
When I did a witbier which was 50/50 grain and flaked wheat my efficiency was way off too and I normally get consistent results with that.. maybe you had teh same returns on teh flaked wheat

btw it was still a great beer

I would probably boil them for 5 mins or so personally

slids idea is interesting.

I think flaked wheat is an adjunct so that's why you got lower efficiency. No Diastic power. I never normally check but I did a pumpkin beer where I noticed it was less than 30 so I had to change it.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #18
Sheepish

Likes Given: 2

Quick question, have you tried stirring it to try and get it going again?

I'm brewing a wheat beer and the temp control went screwy and fermentation stopped (day 2 in the FV), I gave it a good stir and it started up for a day, then stopped again (at 1.019), I've given it another stir and it's been going quite happily now for 3 days ...just a thought.