Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Basic extract question

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
simon12

Liked 286 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Default Basic extract question

I have never done an extract brew and just realised I don't know the answer to this basic question. If I want to make an amber or dark beer do I use just amber/dark extract or is it like all grain where you use pale and a small quantity of amber/dark?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #2
terrym

Liked 1607 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon12 View Post
I have never done an extract brew and just realised I don't know the answer to this basic question. If I want to make an amber or dark beer do I use just amber/dark extract or is it like all grain where you use pale and a small quantity of amber/dark?
My answer is you can do probably do either. If you use darker DME (or LME) it will probably have some darker grains in there somewhere, just like I recently found out. However if you do a grain steep or a minimash with darker grains together with the basic extract brew, you have more flexibility to adjust the colour and flavours.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #3
Druncan
Senior Moments

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I use pale LME with all my brews. I add colour/flavour with crystal malt that I steep @ 75*C for 20mins or may add a tiny bit of (<5%) Black LME. Seems to work OK! Also I think my LME seems to get darker as it ages.