Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > The crossmyloof brewery yeast

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #641
Gerryjo

Liked 746 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Right mine stopped bubbling this morning so might check FG on Sunday to see......

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Old 26-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #642
AdeDunn

Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Grrrr.... You know that 1.013? Yeah, that was it, it literally went no lower... All it's done since is to clean up a bit more... So nope, I am not impressed with the Saison De Lille at all. Not going to waste MJ yeast though, beer tastes good as is so it's getting bottled soon.

Everybody who has tasted a sample of the beer has really liked it though, even though it's warm and flat! So will 100% be making the recipe up again, might become my go to brew, especially in the summer months. Just not with CML's uninspiring Saison De Lazy yeast....

Old 07-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #643
Pavros

Liked 106 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Just a quick report on the cml yeasts that I've used so far:

Kolsch: I used this to ferment a Wilkos cerveza kit. Fermented well but had a slight medicinal smell at bottling. I used Kohatu as a dry hop which didn't work well with the kit. However this is crystal clear and the medicinal smell has conditioned out.

US pale: Used this in an out of date Wilkos golden ale kit dry hopped with 100g of Azacca. Been bottled for 2 weeks. Fermented well but takes an age to clear in the bottle and hasn't packed solid yet. Pours cloudy but tastes clean with fruity hops. I think this will be good in a month or so if it packs at the bottom of the bottle.

Belgian: Used half a pack in a Brewferm Christmas ale. Been fermenting at low temps for 10 days as heating only on in evenings and has gone from 1.056 to 1.014. Crystal clear in the fv. Strong phenol smell and taste from a couple of days ago has reduced a lot. I will bottle this to open next Christmas at the earliest but tastes promising.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #644
Clint

Liked 1121 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 268

My us pales have all cleared within 4-5 days in the bottle and pour clear too.
Pavros Likes This 
Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #645
Pavros

Liked 106 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Hopefully it's just the dry hop and only 2 weeks in the bottle that are affecting it.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #646
Gunge

Liked 922 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1037

Quote:
And mine. In fact, CML yeasts consistently clear faster than any other I've used.
Pavros Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #647
AdeDunn

Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavros View Post
US pale: Used this in an out of date Wilkos golden ale kit dry hopped with 100g of Azacca. Been bottled for 2 weeks. Fermented well but takes an age to clear in the bottle and hasn't packed solid yet. Pours cloudy but tastes clean with fruity hops. I think this will be good in a month or so if it packs at the bottom of the bottle.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
And mine. In fact, CML yeasts consistently clear faster than any other I've used.
Pretty sure it's the kit. I used the US Pale yeast for the same kit, dry hopped with Falconer's Flight, Citra and Amarillo. Bottled in October and still pours with a haze. Tastes amazing though, so who cares? I also used the US Pale yeast in a mosaic SMSH and it was bright going into the bottles, no haze at all just lovely gold/amber coloured beer.

Oh, and finally used the Kirstallweizen yeast for a wheat beer. Not as insanely vigorous as their real ale yeast, but on a par with other yeasts I've used so far. Pitched on 4/12 it looks like it's nearly done, bubbling slowed right down. Proof of the pudding though will come when it's properly finished and I check the FG.
Pavros Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #648
jjsh

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've found the CML real ale yeast really vigorous, fermenting quickly even in a garage where the brew temp at one point dropped down to 17 degrees for a bit. Its cleared in the barrel in 2 weeks, but initially has a really strong, almost sour, yeast taste going on. This has now almost totally abated, so quite impressed. Hides the hops a bit, but does allow the malt to shine through. Unfortunately, the brew I've used it on is a bit bland and *meh*, but that's a different story.

Brewing: Nothing till the weekend.
Conditioning: Coopers Canadian Blonde, Brew Enhancer, 500g Medium DME, 25g Bobek 15 mins, 25g 5 mins. 25g dry hop. CML Real Ale yeast.
Drinking: Commercial Beer, as I've been out of the homebrew loop for a few years

Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #649
mozza

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsh View Post
I've found the CML real ale yeast really vigorous, fermenting quickly even in a garage where the brew temp at one point dropped down to 17 degrees for a bit. Its cleared in the barrel in 2 weeks, but initially has a really strong, almost sour, yeast taste going on. This has now almost totally abated, so quite impressed. Hides the hops a bit, but does allow the malt to shine through. Unfortunately, the brew I've used it on is a bit bland and *meh*, but that's a different story.

I agree about the sharp taste! My brews still have it but hopefully it will disappear. Very homebrew twang-like at the minute

Mozza

Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #650
Clint

Liked 1121 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Mozza are you doing kits or ag or extract? None of my ag brews with CML have had any weird taste...
chub1 Likes This