Humax Freesat question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone have one of these? I dumped Sky in November and whilst I love the monthly saving, having one of these really shows how good the Sky box was.

The software on this is irritatingly slow - is yours? I realise it's essentially a hard drive with a decoder but blimey, it takes an age just to delete something. Even scrolling through the TV guide requires the patience of the average Pope.

Or is it just my box?!

I have a Humax PVR but I don't use the Freesat, the reception is pretty poor here in the NE of Scotland. having said that I found their support to be very good when I inquired about software updates. Certainly worth contacting and it sounds like that might improve your issues.

LeithR said:
I have a Humax PVR but I don't use the Freesat, the reception is pretty poor here in the NE of Scotland. having said that I found their support to be very good when I inquired about software updates. Certainly worth contacting and it sounds like that might improve your issues.

Great suggestion - thank you.

I was thinking of moving from sky to a humax box but having read a few reviews was put off.

I've just upgraded from a FOXSAT-HD to my first PVR the new HDR-1000S and I'm a little disapointed with how slow it is to navigate the menus. My FOXSAT was slow but I just put that down to it being old and bog standard. This new box cost me £300 though and I was expecting a big improvement in terms of speed.

I'm more than just a little dispapointed to be honest. Now that I have the ability to record TV I was excited about the prospect of being able to whizz through the TV guide and easily select programmes during the week. Instead it's a massive chore having to wait for the EPG to populate every time I press left/right/up/down. It makes me want to cry. I NEED responsiveness. Responsive = user friendly. The design of the menus is great I will admit, however what is the point if they are so damn slow??

There are other speed related issues as well which add to the frustration. Loading the On-Demand services is painful (Funnily once loaded I find the BBC iPlayer is lot quicker to navigate than the Humax menus).

We've got a Humax Freeview HD box and after updating software were able to use an external USB drive to provide recording.
Menus are fine and pretty quick navigating round recordings, deleting not a problem.
AFAIK Freesat versions have a different inbound interface but otherwise very similar.
If you've repeatedly filled the hard disk with recordings and run it nearly full a lot of the time that may slow down operations like deleting but menu navigation shouldn't be affected.
I found the AV forums good for info on my Humax and freeview questions - http://hummy.tv/forum/ and http://www.avforums.com/forums/ for example.

Good luck
Stuart

redhousebrewing said:
We've got a Humax Freeview HD box and after updating software were able to use an external USB drive to provide recording.
Menus are fine and pretty quick navigating round recordings, deleting not a problem.
AFAIK Freesat versions have a different inbound interface but otherwise very similar.
If you've repeatedly filled the hard disk with recordings and run it nearly full a lot of the time that may slow down operations like deleting but menu navigation shouldn't be affected.
I found the AV forums good for info on my Humax and freeview questions - http://hummy.tv/forum/ and http://www.avforums.com/forums/ for example.

Good luck
Stuart

Thanks a million Stuart.

After a bit of a Google I discovered that part of the problem is the black film on the front flap. Following other users advice I carefully scratched this off in the inside circle that covers the remote sensor, and hey presto, instant improvement!

I also emptied the HD of the old stuff as you suggested and this too has helped things no end.

Thanks again mate :thumb:

Latest posts

Back