Car Tyre Puncture... Repairable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanworts

Landlord.
Reaction score
How can I know if the tyre place should be able to fix a puncture, rather than tell me it needs replacing?

For maybe the 5th time in as many years, we have a puncture on a perfectly good car tyre. This time it's a screw, fairly central in the tread, through one of the thickest bits. The tyre did not crimp through total deflation as the puncture was slow enough to catch it first.

:(

Middle third / half of the tyre then no problem as long as the carcase is intact . . . edge / sidewall = new Tire :(

Sounds as though you should be ok . . .although that depends on the tyre place :evil: :evil:

Thanks both :thumb:

I've booked in, saying clearly that I'm expecting a repair. It's an independent garage that we've used before for new tyres, so I'm hopeful they'll be honest.

The same day (yesterday), the boiler suddenly went up to 3 bar (when it's not on), overflow expelling the excess pressure, just days after we technically should have had its serviced to keep up the extended warranty left by the previous owners. I've booked their own engineer, for a simultaneous service and check up, in the hope they may just overlook those few days over if it turns out the exchanger has gone. There was a faint hint they may, though it did mean they sold me an £85 service to find out.

The third downer of the weekend is a bottle-yeast starter that I think is resisting my attempt to get it going on the stir plate. A weekend to forget.

I have had exactly the same situation re puncture twice in the last couple of years. Both times it was repaired for about £15 iirc.

With my last car i was picking up a puncture every other month! i'm unsure if it was because i was buying £20 tires or just a good job i wasn't buying new ones.

Either way they could never be repaired because they were near the sidewalls.

The new vehicle has commercial van tires which appear to be holding up much better!

As said it should be ok to repair - one possible problem - I had one with a nail last year that they said would be fine to repair, when he took the tyre off though it was full of shredded rubber inside, not sure how but the nail had obviously done it. So replacement tyre it was, turned out expensive, the only tyres they had in my size were Continentals at £200 a go and it was sunday afternoon so nowhere else was open.

Aleman said:
You Got problems . . .180 Quid a corner for mine

Thats were you are going wrong Aleman wheels are meant to be round, No Corners :lol: :lol:

square_wheels.png

narmour said:
morethanworts said:
Was done promptly for £15+VAT, so near enough. Happy with that.

Just the boiler to sort now, and that yeast :doh:

Jesus... my local charges £8 all in for a nail in the tyre.

That is very cheap, assuming they remove, fix, refit and rebalance the tyre. You don't get much done for £8 nowadays.

i get upto 4 new tyres with the finance and servicing on my car every 3 years. last time i took the car in it had a cut on the side wall on the front but couldnt see any banding but as i was down to 2mm they changed both front ones £160 each and i had to take it back for rebalance twice the car was only 9 months old with 12k on the clock. im glad i didnt have to foot the bill on that

morethanworts said:
narmour said:
morethanworts said:
Was done promptly for £15+VAT, so near enough. Happy with that.

Just the boiler to sort now, and that yeast :doh:

Jesus... my local charges £8 all in for a nail in the tyre.

That is very cheap, assuming they remove, fix, refit and rebalance the tyre. You don't get much done for £8 nowadays.
ten quid round our way, good part worn twenty.....

Back