Winter Olympics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
Anybody else going to be following them?

I know we've got quite a few Norwegian forum members, come on out and show yourselves.

Ole Einar Bjoerndalen - greatest Winter Olympian ever - certainly. Greatest Olympian ever? What other contenders are there?

40 years old.
6th Olympics.
12 medals, now 7 golds.

And Marit Bjoergen has made a good start too, damn her, I was betting on Johaug.

I know we Brits have never officially won a medal on snow but we may have chances this time around, and I hope Musgrave can stuff the Norwegians again at their own game in the cross country.

I enjoy watching. Sliding down a mountain on a tea tray takes a lot of balls. Love the various ski events as well and bob-sleigh as well.

I like the Bobsleigh as well :whistle: :whistle:

[youtube:2ahbmbop]uvIewCiBuSs[/youtube:2ahbmbop]

I watched the Olympic slope style snowboarding yesterday and it struck me how old I'm getting when I realised that I was getting disproportionately annoyed with the commentators' poor use of English. If I had a penny for every time one of them misused the word 'literally', I would have enough money to replace the TV that I nearly threw out of the window. Their incredibly shallow pool of adjectives was grating too, and surprisingly undescriptive. Everything was 'boss', or 'solid' or 'gnarly'. Grrr. :evil: :evil:

Snowboarding has its own vocabulary, which I can barely begin to understand. Decibel levels were certainly rising in the commentary box as the later contenders were “dropping it”. But we've got a medal, on snow, so everybody is allowed to be stoked. I just hope the girl hasn't had a runny nose.*

Meanwhile our men's curling team have won their first contest against the hosts.

* Alain Baxter was robbed of his medal after using a Vick's inhaler.

I play bowls, so I can appreciate the curling, but blimey, I play crown green: 1 on 1, 2 bowls each. 16 stones each end is just too damn slow.

As a spectator sport I find curling slightly more interesting than watching paint dry or 5-day cricket, but both of our teams seem to be doing ok at the moment and ought to get past the round robin stage. They will probably still finish 4th, 5th or 6th.

If they had tin, plastic and mdf medals for those places we would be cleaning up.

But when the Germans dominate other sliding sports, why are our women so good at head-first-down-a-mountain-on-a-tea-tray ?

That was a scruffy final run from Yarnold but she still extended her lead to almost a full second.

Well done our girl :clap:

Latest posts

Back