Painting stair spindles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodolpete

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi.
A few years ago we had an old boy replace our stair rails
With spindles. He did a marvellous job, especially the painting
Of it. The finish was mirror smooth, no brushstrokes visible
at all. Sadly the while paint has yellowed, so I want to do
the painting to the same high standard. I can't find any web
pages that explain how to do it, so can anyone help? What
white paint, just top coat or undercover as well, what sandpaper
grades etcetera.
TIA.
Pete

A good rub down with some sandpaper to key the surface, two coats of undercoart - rub down each coat, throughly dust and then a final coat of gloss.

I have no idea what paint is used over in the UK now, we used to use Dulux oil based gloss but I'd be surprised if it was still available.

Over here I have to use water based acrylics - they are ****! And they work best with a small foam roller - wtf!

Titus A Duxass said:
A good rub down with some sandpaper to key the surface, two coats of undercoart - rub down each coat, throughly dust and then a final coat of gloss.

I have no idea what paint is used over in the UK now, we used to use Dulux oil based gloss but I'd be surprised if it was still available.

Over here I have to use water based acrylics - they are ****! And they work best with a small foam roller - wtf!

Depends what you are after. Current oil based paints give the best gloss but yellow really quickly (think weeks or months, not years and the less sunlight they get the quicker it yellows). Acrylics don't flow as well and don't keep a wet edge for more than a few seconds but keep their whiteness well. Personally I use Leyland trade acrylic undercoat and eggshell as I want a white finish that lasts.

Basically as Titus says, prepare, undercoat, topcoat. Get a couple of good brushes designed for acrylic paints (I'm currently using a Prodec angled woodworker brush and Spekter sash brushes which are pretty good and not too expensive) stay clear of use and throw type brushes they shed hairs and are a nightmare to use). Be prepared to add a tiny amount of water if the paint needs it.

I'm not a professional painter, This is just what I use currently having tried several other paints that yellowed or were uncontrollable in the last couple of years.

Dave

Yes that is one thing that you can say about the acrylic paints - they stay white.
I painted a door last year and it is still ice white, it's so white that it looks a bit out of place in an old house.

Back