Valentine's Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narmour

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone have to do the prescribed romance thing today to keep your significant other happy? luckily my missus doesn't fall for all the marketing nonsense and as a result, Valentine's is a non event in our house. I do make a donation to charity every year in her name in respect of the amount I would've spent on flowers and such. I think it's a better use of the money than lining the pockets of those who have marketed this occasion.

Every year it makes me laugh hearing about the poor saps who sweat over how to make sure that their partners not feel disappointed at their once yearly attempt to be romantic! I might stop into Tesco on the way home from work just to observe the utter devastation around the flower counter...

If you skip Valentine's Day you have to also miss Steak&Blowjob Day!

We don't go nuts, though: a card (and we prefer understated simple, so not expensive), I gave her some speciality cider and she gave me whisky.

I got her flowers last night. She gave me a chocolate love heart first time in 20 yrs that I have got a present.

The charity idea is a cracking one, and one that ive done with previous girlfriends. the current (hopefully permanent now) swimbo will have a bunch of flowers delivered to her work address today even after we agreed only to exchange cards. my reasoning was that at the end of the day its only 30 quid and as she is having a tough time as a newly qualified teacher it will hopefully put a smile on her face :)

Today is the wife's birthday too so I get hit with the double whammy. On the other hand, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Mine went and bought a card for herself from me which I thought was nice of her! I would like to use the "its all a gimmick, I don't need to show my love on a particular day" but to be honest I never show her!

A new teacher! Tell her not to do it, mine is 7 years in and its hell!

phettebs said:
Today is the wife's birthday too so I get hit with the double whammy. On the other hand, I can kill two birds with one stone.

You get her a stone... that's bold !!! :whistle:

We exchange cards and that's about it.. If I bought flowers she'd be suspicious

Billyb83 said:
A new teacher! Tell her not to do it, mine is 7 years in and its hell!

haha I think she's clicked onto that now (7 weeks in) think its startled her a bit as her degree is in special educational needs and she has been doing temporary work in special needs schools and a lovely one in stockport.

However it was all temporary work and she was offered a full time permanent position in a normal primary school nearby. After hearing what some of the kids get up to i dont know how she does it!!

Can't stand Valentines day.. but i'll buy her a card and order in a Chinese for tonight!. Bit of home brewed wine any excuse to spend time together is a good idea but I don't go any further than that.
People buy each other gifts and such, Why?

Mine is secondary English in a nice rough school in Warrington, unbelievable what goes on, we best stop as I could go on about teaching forever. My Mum was primary, its just as bad, just different problems. Having said that, one of the only teachers who I know is happy, works in a special needs school (not sure if that is still the name, sorry if its not) in Wigan, so hopefully if she can get in one of those she will be happy. Fair play though, I could never do any of them.

I gave her this one:
cf94148df2a34a66183932aa5e01ea27-puritan-valentines-day-cards.jpg

Billyb83 said:
Mine is secondary English in a nice rough school in Warrington, unbelievable what goes on, we best stop as I could go on about teaching forever. My Mum was primary, its just as bad, just different problems. Having said that, one of the only teachers who I know is happy, works in a special needs school (not sure if that is still the name, sorry if its not) in Wigan, so hopefully if she can get in one of those she will be happy. Fair play though, I could never do any of them.

Lol the one shes working in now is in warrington......... says a lot about warrington lol

I did make up a Valentine's rhyme for her though, which went down well. it goes...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Rhyming is hard
Take your clothes off.

I thank you. :hat:

Cant complain, I bought her some roses and she got me a bigger 33l fv and this :party: :party: -

My romantic gesture today was to add a strawberry wine kit to my homebrew order thinking the missus might like it. I might have some explaining to do when she gets in. :whistle:

my Mrs birthday today so she gets one or the other not both , got her some of the kids hand prints charms cast in silver from them, and I got her some cheap flowers and chocolates(she's on a diet :)). and I got a bottle of relabelled bottle of xb.

I forgot what day it was....... :oops: :oops:

I've just been reminded of it....... :oops: :oops:

looks like a quiet night....... :whistle: :whistle:

piddledribble said:
I forgot what day it was....... :oops: :oops:

I've just been reminded of it....... :oops: :oops:

looks like a quiet night....... :whistle: :whistle:

:lol:

Oh dear PD, well at least it saved you money.

Back