Second brew from sparged grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly enough, I have been thinking about this (Parti-gyle) for a couple of days now and came to the conclusion that it needs more kit to do it simply than I currenly have, with a Grainfather, a BIAB set up from the HBC and a 16L pot.

The ideal would be a Grainbrother as you just transfer the grain basket as is into the G-B with the second mash water already at mash temperatures and away!

As the G-B is marketed as "two brews in 7 hours" I guess it would add 2 hours to the brewday.

As to the merits or otherwise of Parti-gyle, it would maybe be only a special high gravity grain bill that was worth re-using, for the sake of £3-6 worth of grain? "Special" brews I am considering doing at the moment include a Robinsons Old Tom clone, a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout clone or even another Old Ale.

Still, I find the idea interesting. A possible variant is to add a kit to the second brew if the OG is a bit low.
If your OG was low on the second you don't have to add a kit just the addition of DME/LME to help bring it up.
I done this using a few pots and much easier than you would think.Definitely worth a shot and even a low ABV can be quite refreshing 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Latest posts

Back