Brewnight: Tropical WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Roddy, I've not had one for a while now, he says then heads off to dig a tropical one out of his stash for tomorrow night. :grin:

Roddy, have you tried a tropical using WGJ instead of the red?
No matey, I have to trek to Waitrose for the wgj 😕

I have one on the go with wgj and welches peach and apple, so if that's any good I might try a white tropical combo 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well it sounds nice so I have just put one of these together. 2 x Waitrose tropical fruit juice, 1 x Waitrose wgj , 1/4 l of waitrose aj ( cos it was there! ) and topped with water. 800 g sugar may actually be 70g over what I was aiming for. Taking somebody's advice ( was it Roddy?) , made to full gallon and split as shown to preserve the full gallon later but prevent nuclear fall out! I have to say, it is the most aesthetically unappealing thing I have made so far. :smile:

IMG_3072.jpg

Not guilty on the splitting DJ's thing ;)

I see what you mean about the colour, was it the tropical juice that looks like dirty dishwater :-( ? the asda stuff is a bit more yellow/orange

My ones have always dropped to the bottom within a couple of weeks from the start

Not as lively as I thought it may be but what can I expect to happen with all this muck? Will it sink eventually and I can then rack off or will I have to draw through it. Only 3 days in.

10 days in had some stuff on the bottom but great clods still floating on top. Drew off what I could then strained the rest through muslin. After 12 hours some more lumps have formed on the top of the new dj.

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

Clods finally sank. Have stopped this today, racked onto Campden, degassed and stablised before adding finings. Topped up with aj as it tasted horribly bitter. SG .988 suggests this is at 12.34%. Unless this improves in flavour it will be going away for several weeks Or down the drain!

Clods finally sank. Have stopped this today, racked onto Campden, degassed and stablised before adding finings. Topped up with aj as it tasted horribly bitter. SG .988 suggests this is at 12.34%. Unless this improves in flavour it will be going away for several weeks Or down the drain!

It would have been higher if you hadn't stabilised it - something I am yet to appreciate the function of doing.

Everyone seems to like killing off the yeast and then using kwik clear - someone explain to me why not just let the yeasties do they're thing ? It's cheaper and more natural xD

How long would that take ? If I had a recipe I was continuously producing I'd give that a go however my understanding is that it can take a long long time ?

It would have been higher if you hadn't stabilised it - something I am yet to appreciate the function of doing.

Everyone seems to like killing off the yeast and then using kwik clear - someone explain to me why not just let the yeasties do they're thing ? It's cheaper and more natural xD

Probably would bave been more accurate to say that the blips had practically stopped and the SG suggested that the yeast HAD done its job to the limit of the starting quantity of sugar.

Not the best of pics as it is pretty dark around here today but I think it would bave taken months to get to this stsge naturally.

IMG_1522.jpg

I had a pulpy wow that I forgot to stabilise, but then used finings, which had no effect at all ! ( that was in my early days and got poured out in the garden (killed the grass too haha)

I racked my Strawberry wow during the week and stabilised, but haven't used finings on it yet (waiting for the postie). This is starting to clear but would take months and months to clear naturally I reckon... I'll take a pic later if I remember

Back