Pear and Mint TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one, I don't get mucho activity on my cider compared with wows either 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Going to transfer this to another DJ tonight: two questions:

There must be a good few inches lost due to only what I can describe as pickled brain.

So - would you top up with water or just leave ?

And is there any reason why you shouldn't add Kwik Clear to a TC ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to transfer this to another DJ tonight: two questions:

There must be a good few inches lost due to only what I can describe as pickled brain.

So - would you top up with water or just leave ?

And is there any reason why you shouldn't add Kwik Clear to a TC ?

has the **** settled to the bottom of the DJ or still floating ? Wonder why there's so much... although I don't notice so much cos I do mine in 27L FV's s there's usually max of 20mm gunk even on pulpy WOW's

I haven't ever had to add finings to cider, not sure how that would work if you're carbing it up too (presume you are ?), nothing to lose tho I guess

Adding water depends a bit on how strong it was to start with I suppose, you might end up with a pretty weak cider if you have to add much

Just got home and checked. I moved it before going to work this morning and just got home to see it's 90% dropped to the bottom now, don't know whether the move had shifted it. I'll take and OG reading later and post a photo. Start was 1.050.

f68ca0294843ee460125b3d3ea8ba97b.jpg

Scrap that - its now back at the top.

Not ready though as OG at 1.010. And it appears to have picked up a bit more pace again bubbling 1 every 30 secs.

Had a quick taste, it's ok but the mint is not coming through.

Leave for a while longer me thinks.

cdccb32efcf6499ffddb09c52581e1bb.jpg

So... moved to 2nd DJ.

You can see how much **** left behind. Could have filtered I guess to squeeze a little more but not worth the hassle.

FG 1.004.

Taste: dry and cider like, seems strong but no mint [emoji24]

Will leave over night again and bottle unless anyone thinks otherwise. ?

I won't top up the DJ.

I would squeeze/strain the pulp and leave it a few more days and check the SG again, most ciders will get down to 1.000, if you want more mint flavour then you could add a little mint tea @ priming/bottling time.

[ame]https://vimeo.com/188339124[/ame]

Couldn't resist cracking an early cold pear and mint.

Interesting chewing gum flavour.

A little dry.

But fizzy and drinkable [emoji847]

Nice work mate, you're not selling it to me though 😉

Worth a go do you reckon ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not as it stands mate. I added a cup of mint tea before bottling which added mint flavour but tastes too much like gum, so would back off the tea.

And needs to be a little sweeter.

Deffo a goer, but with some tweaks.

Been thinking about this and doing some reading. I reckon the way to go, is much more mint leaves, but bruised up, wrapped in muslin cloth and dangled in the FV during primary. ?

Latest posts

Back