Oatmeal stout hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning all,

I'll be doing an oatmeal stout next week. I have some Admiral hops left over so wondering if these would be any good in a stout? My thinking is that the slight orange flavour they're meant to impart might work quite well against the chocolate malt.

I can easily pop out and pick up something else, but it'd be handy to use up what's already in the cupboard.

Cheers.

I have just finished the last of a pale ale which I dry hopped with 50g Admiral as an experiment, never having used that hop before. The effect has been very distinctive, i.e. initially an overwhelming taste of pine which after two months had just about mellowed.
Based on that experience, although yours might be different, I would not be putting Admiral anywhere near a stout, which for me relies on subtle hop additions and not something that's 'in yer face'.

I have just finished the last of a pale ale which I dry hopped with 50g Admiral as an experiment, never having used that hop before. The effect has been very distinctive, i.e. initially an overwhelming taste of pine which after two months had just about mellowed.
Based on that experience, although yours might be different, I would not be putting Admiral anywhere near a stout, which for me relies on subtle hop additions and not something that's 'in yer face'.

I've just dry hopped a pale with some admiral and chinook. I only used 15g of each though (I think). I have no idea what it'll turn like.

As Rob said, I'd only be using a bit for bittering at 60mins with no late additions so probably wouldn't actually get much of the flavour of the hop anyway. However, I have realised that I'm a bit short on crystal and chocolate so I'll need to pop to the LHBS anyway so I might pick up some Northern Brewer or similar to be on the safe side.

In the end I didn't have time to get to the LHBS so just went with what I had. A sample today tastes quite promising but the bugger's stuck at 1016. Just added a bit of sugar dissolved in boiling water and turned the heat up. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in bolted next week.

1016 isn't that high for a dark beer is it? That's about where I expect most of mine to finish.

I thought it seemed a little high, but I may well be (and probably am) wrong. The Brewers friend calculator suggests 1010, but maybe that's optimistic. I've already added the sugar now, so I'll give it a few days and see where we're at. Cheers for the input, if it doesn't move any I'll bottle anyway :thumb:

Latest posts

Back