Gin inspired Metheglin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got a batch almost done fermenting which is technically a hydromel at the moment. Should end up about 8.5% and then carbonate in the bottles. It's based on a recipe from Groennfell Meadery and one of their variations is to blend it 3:1 with a spice tea to make an Autumn Spice mead.

I was going to play and split the batch into three 1.5 L portions, keep one straight and flavour the other 2. I've got lemon balm taking over the herb patch and juniper berries in the spice rack and was thinking that a sparkling mead would blend brilliantly with these flavours. Does anyone have any experience with these ingredients? I'm not sure of the quantities, also any thoughts of some extra flavours to blend with them? I'm thinking of some citrus peel but don't want to overpower the balm.

Thanks

I suggest you make a tea first with the lemon to gage the amount need for 1.5 ltrs, the oil is quite thick and cloying without fermenting. I wouldn't use more than a handful of leaves and yes would use juice of a lemon or half a lemon with it to take the edge off it, not jiff lemon concentrate though. Not sure I would waste the juniper berries on such a low abv mead, but I would ensure they were sterile before adding to soak for some months, no idea on the amount for 1.5 ltrs.

Back