Candi sugar acid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've no fridge.

20 something pound belt heater, combined with a plug timer, will manage the heating part. The cellar, time of year, and time, will manage the conditioning part.

I'm not going to worry about the specifics until I taste the result.

I'm looking forward to the blind side by side taste test; partly it's what's driving me on. And if mine doesn't quite beat Duvel based on my own blind assessment, I already know I'm going to bloody enjoy mine whatever.

I've no fridge.

20 something pound belt heater, combined with a plug timer, will manage the heating part. The cellar, time of year, and time, will manage the conditioning part.

I'm not going to worry about the specifics until I taste the result.

I'm looking forward to the blind side by side taste test; partly it's what's driving me on. And if mine doesn't quite beat Duvel based on my own blind assessment, I already know I'm going to bloody enjoy mine whatever.

I too enjoy my "failures" if they don't actually taste like vinegar! (7-Up is a wonderful disguiser of crimes against beer!)

Keep me posted on results because I have my eye on making and using Candi Sugar when I get back to the UK in June. :thumb: :thumb:

So here's my sample :smile:.

Went quite well. Found it very easy to maintain the temp between 127 & 135. Have a thermopen, so sure of the temp. I also have an electric hob, which I guess offers better temp control at the lower end, almost off really. You really hardly need any heat when you get in the 130 range. In fact my attempt was visibly different to those I've watched on the tube, as theirs was bubbling quite a lot and they needed to add water to keep the temp below 135; while mine pretty much just sat still at 130.

In the first part, boiling the water off, there was a distinct lime smell. That went away. Then at about the 15 minute mark there was a change, it went gloopy and smelled like toffee apple. I only continued another 5 minutes and I could see the colour changing even then.

What can I learn for next time? Well, water is needed at the end to ensure it stays like syrup. It had been my intent to add cooled boiled water, to ensure sterility, but that part I completely forgot about until it came round to adding the water. Anyway, I did sanitise everything, just that the water was from the tap. I'll remember next time.

Daughter got what was left in the pan, so she was pretty happy in the end.

Capture.JPG

Looks good and I presume the light coloured is to match the Duvel colouring. :thumb: :thumb:

I wouldn't expect tap water to cause any sterilisation or taste issues. Any chlorine in the water will have escaped by the time it has been mixed into the sugar syrup and yeasts would have been killed off at the same time.

In France it's possible to buy bottles of pure cane syrup (Sirop du Cane) in the supermarkets so I wondered if you had considered using one of those as your starting point rather than ordinary sugar.

Also, if you had considered it; why did you reject it?

Yes, light colouring intended.

Chlorine not an issue here. It occurred to me also that I could lift the temp to 100 some time before I intend to add it. I'm not absolutely sure this step is necessary though. I'm guessing this is a bit like jam and will keep very well. I'm adding on day 2 of the ferment also, so the intended yeast will be ready and waiting to beat off any wild ones that might be brought in.

Hadn't considered cane syrup. Might sound strange, but I shop in Germany, just down the road :grin:. I just thought basic sugar would be good enough. I just checked out the price of candi syrup in my local supplier, 8.95 EUR for 1l. I just made about 1.5l, so that worth about 10 pounds. The necessary sugar cost the equivalent of 72 pence, so well worth it in my book.

........ I'm guessing 8.95 EUR for 1l.........

Ouch!! I'm pretty sure it's not quite that expensive in my local Le Clerc (SWMBO objects to a bottle of wine if it costs more than €2) but I will surely check it out next month. It just seemed easier and I happen to have a couple of bottles sat in a kitchen cupboard here in Skegness!

Come to think of it, I also have three limes sat in the fridge as well ...

... so watch this space! :whistle:

Okay, I've done the deed.

I used just over half a bottle of "Sirop du Canne, brought it up to the 127 degrees mark, squeezed in the juice from two limes and then upped the temperature to 130-135 degree range for 20 minutes; adding a bit of water as required to keep the temperature in range.

After 20 minutes I let the temperature rise, kept stirring it until it reached the colour I wanted and then took it off the heat and carefully added water until it stopped boiling.

Less than an hour from start to finish and that included tidying up. up the cooker to prevent the wrath of SWMBO!

I think I followed this recipe but I didn't want to make my computer "sticky" and my memory isn't what it used to be so .... :whistle: :whistle:

https://joshthebrewmaster.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/how-to-make-belgian-candi-sugar/

I'm now thinking "First brew when I get home in June will be Belgian Red Beer." :thumb: :thumb:

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Nice. Seems I inspired you. Mines like the first spoon in your link. Did you do this without any idea what brew to put it in, or are we trying out Duvel together? Go on, you know you want to.

Given that candi syrup tastes 10 times better than disolved sugar (as my daughter would testify), I'm hoping this transfers to better tasting beer.

Was planning to do the Duvel this weekend, but it never quite works out as planned. Need to accept just a few steps per weekend, and this weekend turned out to be a transfer to secondary (while bottling 8), and making candi syrup. That'll do. Now start the planning for next weekend. Everything is ready to go, even the candi syrup.

Nice. Seems I inspired you. Mines like the first spoon in your link. Did you do this without any idea what brew to put it in, or are we trying out Duvel together? Go on, you know you want to.

Given that candi syrup tastes 10 times better than disolved sugar (as my daughter would testify), I'm hoping this transfers to better tasting beer.

Was planning to do the Duvel this weekend, but it never quite works out as planned. Need to accept just a few steps per weekend, and this weekend turned out to be a transfer to secondary (while bottling 8), and making candi syrup. That'll do. Now start the planning for next weekend. Everything is ready to go, even the candi syrup.

I'm addicted to using candi sugar in my brews it makes the high abv brews easier to drink. I used clear candi in my last brew and ended up with a duval coloured gorgeously hoppy beer. The one before that I used dark candi sugar and that made a luscious dark abbey beer. Golden syrup is partially inverted sugar so a step on the way to candi sugar but readily available in supermarkets.

There are quite a few forumites who use golden syrup. I buy my candi sugar in - I'm 'allowed' a limited amount time and space in the kitchen :sad: so anything that saves time takes precedence over the cost. Hence most of my brews are extract based 20 minute boil affairs.

As I pointed out, a couple of days ago I hadn't even heard of Candi Sugar until you were looking for Cream of Tartar in France; so a definite "Yes" on the inspiration.

I purposely went past the Duvel colour requirement as I quite fancy making a Belgian style red ale instead (and I'm quite prepared to let you experiment with the Duvel).

Plan "A" is to make a small (10 litres) batch using:

1.25 kg of Light LME
0.6 kg of Candi Syrup
25 grams of EKG
Boil for 30 minutes.

Pitch with Gervin Ale Yeast (by Muntons) GV12 (Only because it is readily available to me.)

According to the Brewers Friend recipe system this will tick all the boxes for a Belgian Pale Ale with an ABV of 5.31% but will have a slightly more ruddy complexion because of the Candi Syrup.

I've run out of time (and bottles!) to do it before we head off to France in another three weeks time and it also gives me some time to source a different yeast such as a Belgian Ale Yeast. (All suggestions welcome.)

As I pointed out, a couple of days ago I hadn't even heard of Candi Sugar until you were looking for Cream of Tartar in France; so a definite "Yes" on the inspiration.

I purposely went past the Duvel colour requirement as I quite fancy making a Belgian style red ale instead (and I'm quite prepared to let you experiment with the Duvel).

Plan "A" is to make a small (10 litres) batch using:

1.25 kg of Light LME
0.6 kg of Candi Syrup
25 grams of EKG
Boil for 30 minutes.

Pitch with Gervin Ale Yeast (by Muntons) GV12 (Only because it is readily available to me.)

According to the Brewers Friend recipe system this will tick all the boxes for a Belgian Pale Ale with an ABV of 5.31% but will have a slightly more ruddy complexion because of the Candi Syrup.

I've run out of time (and bottles!) to do it before we head off to France in another three weeks time and it also gives me some time to source a different yeast such as a Belgian Ale Yeast. (All suggestions welcome.)

If you want to make something like Duvel you want a liquid yeast. WLP570 is one of the Duvel strains.

So I'm now sampling my beer, my first candi syrup effort. Observations...

Previous attempts with added sugar always returned a blood like flavour. I don't catch this with this effort. Seems like an improvement.

Most reports I read about sugar addition say that it's completely consumed, so it doesn't matter if you use table sugar, dextrose, golden syrup or candi syrup. But I can definitely taste a richer toffee apple type flavour in this beer. So in my opinion, candi syrup definitely brings something extra. But I add that my attempt was a high ABV with dry yeast, so possibly the candi syrup wasn't all consumed??

This beer is a Duvel clone, and in a side by side taste test, I find Duvel dryer and without the sweet toffee apple flavour. So although candi syrup seems to have brought something extra to the table, possibly not the right choice for this particular clone. Dextrose for the next effort then.

Latest posts

Back