Kologne Lager mishap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
Did a 4.5l AG kit of this from Brewstore Edinburgh.
Started it on 3 Nov and it appeared to have fermented out by 15 Nov (steady hydrometer readings for 3 days). I racked it into a 2nd demijohn and bunged the DJ and moved it to the shed to try to lager it. So far so good.
on 4 Jan, I was thinking about bottling so brought it inside. This was when things went a bit Pete Tong.
Took out bung, with a loud pop! Then it started to bubble! It's still going, albeit a bit slower than at first.
What have I done?
Help please

Did a 4.5l AG kit of this from Brewstore Edinburgh.
Started it on 3 Nov and it appeared to have fermented out by 15 Nov (steady hydrometer readings for 3 days). I racked it into a 2nd demijohn and bunged the DJ and moved it to the shed to try to lager it. So far so good.
on 4 Jan, I was thinking about bottling so brought it inside. This was when things went a bit Pete Tong.
Took out bung, with a loud pop! Then it started to bubble! It's still going, albeit a bit slower than at first.
What have I done?
Help please

I doubt there is much wrong, here. I would suggest leaving it under an airlock until it stops bubbling and then bottle it when it clears.

The yeast will still continue to ferment available sugars, even at low temps and this is probably all that has happened.

This brew has turned into a sort of Frankenstein brew. After the initial "mishap" I put the airlock on and left it for another 2 weeks. The "secondary" fermentation appeared to have finished, so moved it back outside to the shed.
Left it alone till yesterday, and brought it inside with a view to bottling.
Then it happened AGAIN! It's started to bubble and is this a THIRD fermentation?

Could it just be the dissolved CO2 coming out of solution as it warms up?

I've not brewed a larger so just a guess but I wonder if that could cause it.

The other thing I've heard causing excessive frothing is a wild yeast infection. The wild yeast will ferment the complex sugars standard yeast can't. If this was happening in the cold the dissolved CO2 may come out if solution as previously suggested.

Take another hydrometer reading and check to see if it has dropped again. Also taste it to see if it has any funky flavours.

i bought this pack the other day as well, im looking forward to getting it on the go but im slightly troubled. the pack came with a packet of yeast and the guy said just to use the whole packet of yeast for a 4.5 litre brew. surely this is too much

Latest posts

Back