Greg Hughes Black IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgl150

Reaction score
Hi

Anyone tried brewing the above as an AG recipe?

I was in the Strugglers in Lincoln on Friday and they had a black IPA from the Pheasantry Brewery (fairly local) on and it was fantastic! It was also a little bit different.

I'm thinking of trying it as my first AG brew now.

Cheers

Paul

Can't say I've done that recipe, but did a Black IPA 5l AG which I picked up as a kit from Brewuk. It was terrific and I baffled a number of tasters.
Go for it and I'll be v interested in how you get on

Yes, I've done it and it's really good, probably my favourite AG brew so far (this was my 5th) and I've had loads of compliments on it too, well worth a try.

I've tasted quite a few Black IPAs and this compares very well.

Good luck!

Brilliant!

That's it then. This is going to be my first AG brew. Building my coolbox mash tun this weekend. Getting boiler next week so I'll order the ingredients this weekend.

Cheers

The Greg Hughes Black IPA has far too much chocolate malt in it and to me tastes more like a brown porter. I would reduce the amount from 225 grams to 40 or 50 grams and increase the pale malt, possibly use Munich or Vienna here.

Just my pennies worth.

I've done it though I think I did it all citra. It was one of the best beers I've made, 2nd favourite to date in fact. I hopped it very highly, though can't remember details. I also think you could up the roast malts slightly (not the carafa, but whatever the other was? Black? To give it a little more burnt edge.

If you're after something hoppy and a bit challenging, in a good way, I'd definitely recommend it. Black ipa is a great style imo. Probably the most interesting out there at the moment.

Edit: just read the post above again and realised its got totally contradictory advice re the roast malt. Just shows its whatever floats your boat. Maybe my version would be more like a highly hopped porter.

I've done it though I think I did it all citra. It was one of the best beers I've made, 2nd favourite to date in fact. I hopped it very highly, though can't remember details. I also think you could up the roast malts slightly (not the carafa, but whatever the other was? Black? To give it a little more burnt edge.

If you're after something hoppy and a bit challenging, in a good way, I'd definitely recommend it. Black ipa is a great style imo. Probably the most interesting out there at the moment.

Edit: just read the post above again and realised its got totally contradictory advice re the roast malt. Just shows its whatever floats your boat. Maybe my version would be more like a highly hopped porter.

Yes I guess it's personal taste. As it's my first brew I might just do 20 rather than the 40 pints to see how it turns out and then I can experiment with another 20 pint batch one way or the other.

Just out of interest if doing half the volume what adjustments do I need to make?

Thanks

I regularly make 10 litre batches from larger batch recipes. To scale a recipe down linearly, just multiply the amount of each ingredient by your batch size, then divide by the batch size specified in the original recipe. That seems to work pretty well.

I want to do one of those over the next couple of brews. Slightly Americanized porter.

I bought a couple of bottles of the 'Extra Special' Whitechapel porter from tescum about 4 months ago and the second bottle has been sitting on my shelf ever since. Far too bitter for my liking. It's what I'd think of as an Americanized porter

Got this fermenting as we speak. Going to take a gravity reading tonight. Will obviously drink the sample. It smells amazing!

I made it with the grainfather and did have a bit of bother with the sparge.

Yes I guess it's personal taste. As it's my first brew I might just do 20 rather than the 40 pints to see how it turns out and then I can experiment with another 20 pint batch one way or the other.

Just out of interest if doing half the volume what adjustments do I need to make?

Thanks

I only did a 10L batch, wish I'd done more though!

It's easy, halve everything except water; so grain, hops, yeast (though you don't need to be too accurate with yeast in my opinion, 'about' half a standard dry pack or liquid vial. Not sure about how much of a starter, I generally don't bother if I'm using dry yeast,

Water, not sure of your methods but you'll need to work back from how much you want in the fv. You can't quite halve as you'll have the same boil off rate whether you're boiling up a 20 or 40 pt batch. Use an online calculator if unsure.

I do biab and use biabcalculator.com, gives me reasonably accurate results

Just had a look at the recipe for this and it sounds really good. Will look forward to hearing how it turns out.

I bought a couple of bottles of the 'Extra Special' Whitechapel porter from tescum about 4 months ago and the second bottle has been sitting on my shelf ever since. Far too bitter for my liking. It's what I'd think of as an Americanized porter

Never tried the Whitechapel Porter but on Ratebeer.com it doesn't mention that it is well hopped, only chocolate.

I'm really talking about a cascade/citra/amorillo hopped porter. I really don't know. I'm thinking out loud now. I think it sounds good but lets see.

I've got the book, 'Brewing Porters and stouts' and I'm naively inspired, but lets see.

Did it with Citra, cascade and nugget as the hops weren't all available. It's amazing. Best beer I've made by far.

I've done this a few times now (just brewed a fresh batch on Wednesday) and it's probably the nicest beer I've made, better than any BIPA I've tried with maybe the exception of Beavertown Black Betty :)

Well I've got all my ingredients on order, I've just about finished my coolbox mash tun, got my new Burco Cygnet boiler delivered and I just need to make my immersion chiller from the copper tube and other bits and pieces I bought yesterday.

So I thought I'd basically do 3/4 of the full recipe (30 pints) below (sorry it's not displaying the right way round) so I multiplied all the ingredients by 0.75 and did the same for the water whilst adding on dead space, boil off etc.

20160213_203702.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I then put the figures into Brewers Friend and the figures are miles out compared to Greg's recipe. I must be doing something wrong but don't know what.

Black%20IPA%20Recipe%20Figures.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Additionally, I entered my water report figures to compare against Burton on Trent for example to see whether I need to treat my water. Figures for untreated on image below on the left hand side:

Black%20IPA%20Calcs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If I tick the boil first option it gives me the figures above on the right but I'm not sure whether this is ok or whether I would need to add something else.

I'd appreciate any input on all of the above. This is my first AG and I want to plan it out as best I can before wading in.

Thanks

Paul

Just wondering whether I should post this in the Grain, Hops, Yeast and Water section? It might get more views and responses there...

Thoughts moderator type people? ;-)

Figures are different because of the Og is different and fg

Thanks for the reply.

It's the first time I've used the software and it calculated OG and FG I think. Assuming I entered everything correctly (think there may be a way to share the recipe) would you expect the OG and FG to match the recipe if I scaled everything for 3/4 of the original recipe?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back