No Chill Hop Schedule Advice Please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with a no chill for my next Brew Day (hopefully Monday). I'm making Greg Hughes Rye Beer, with a couple of changes in the hops from the original recipe, in order to use up what I've got stashed in the freezer!

I'm aware that No Chill has some affect on Hop utilisation. The hop schedule I have is as follows..(based on a 11.5 litre batch)

9g Summit @60 mins
25g Cascade @0 mins
12g Cascade Dry Hop after 4 days

I'd appreciate any help with adjusting the hop schedule for a no chill brew? Plus any other general guidelines.

I'm planning on transferring the hot wort to a plastic fermenter, covering the top with sanitised cling film, then covering with the plastic lid and popping in the garage until cooled.

Well no-chill is basically what I do , and have done for years.
Yes, leaving the wort to gradually cool overnight does affect hop utilisation.
But, this does depend upon what you mean by "hop utilisation"! Traditionally, this is the amount of bitterness extracted from the hops. No doubt, if you don't cool the wort then you'll get a more bitter beer. I'd estimate that 2/3 of the bittering hops is somewhere near for my style.
However, I also think it changes the hop flavour (but not aroma). Personally, I've got used to this way of brewing - I don't adjust recipes, I just gradually develop my own to suit the brewing style.
MyQul has posted thoughts on this. Well worth a look.
Why transfer your hot wort? Keep a close-fitting lid on it & let it cool in the boiler. When it's cooled it will be low on oxygen (boiled off) - it's at this stage when I'd transfer it to the FV, with lots of aeration, and add the starter. Then "rouse " it - or rather beat in lots more air - the next day.
I'm part-way through this brew as an example:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59805

Are you planning to leave the hops in the wort as it chills? I always strain mine out before I put them in the FV

I was planning on straining, which led me to realise as I don't have a tap in my brew kettle I'd have to pour it through the strainer into the FV. This usually works out OK after I've chilled as I use it to aerate the wort. I'm thinking I'd not want to do this with hot wort?

I was planning on straining, which led me to realise as I don't have a tap in my brew kettle I'd have to pour it through the strainer into the FV. This usually works out OK after I've chilled as I use it to aerate the wort. I'm thinking I'd not want to do this with hot wort?

I don't have a tap in my brew kettle either. I just use a plastic jug and a seive to transfer to my no-chill cube/old FV to cool overnight

Well no-chill is basically what I do , and have done for years.
Yes, leaving the wort to gradually cool overnight does affect hop utilisation.
But, this does depend upon what you mean by "hop utilisation"! Traditionally, this is the amount of bitterness extracted from the hops. No doubt, if you don't cool the wort then you'll get a more bitter beer. I'd estimate that 2/3 of the bittering hops is somewhere near for my style.
However, I also think it changes the hop flavour (but not aroma). Personally, I've got used to this way of brewing - I don't adjust recipes, I just gradually develop my own to suit the brewing style.
MyQul has posted thoughts on this. Well worth a look.
Why transfer your hot wort? Keep a close-fitting lid on it & let it cool in the boiler. When it's cooled it will be low on oxygen (boiled off) - it's at this stage when I'd transfer it to the FV, with lots of aeration, and add the starter. Then "rouse " it - or rather beat in lots more air - the next day.
I'm part-way through this brew as an example:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59805

Thanks. I've been doing a bit of reading this afternoon and I've discovered leaving it in the kettle is an option. Do you cool down in the kettle then strain the hop debris out when transferring the cooled wort to your FV or do you remove the hops before the wort is cooled?

That's my thought, too. Not only do I not want to faff around with boiling-temperature liquids (dangerous!), but also I worry about introducing air to the hot wort - "hot side oxygenation".
Whatever, I just let the whole thing cool under a close lid, then strain and aerate the next day.

I put the rye beer recipe (P189 right?) through brewmate which has a no chill tick box. As you haven't stated the AA% of your hops I just used 16.1AA for summit (wot I've got in my freezer) and 7.8%AA for cascade (what the default is on brewmate) for 11.5L the IBU without no chill is 30.8. If you leave the hops in the wort/ticking the no chill box gives an IBU of 52.7. As I always strain my hops out before putting them in the cube I have no idea how true to reality this is

9g Summit @60 mins
25g Cascade @0 mins
12g Cascade Dry Hop after 4 days

I'd appreciate any help with adjusting the hop schedule for a no chill brew? Plus any other general guidelines.

A quick look at this - if you leave the hops in, as I do, then I'd knock back the Summit.
I started out trying 20g of Warrior (alpha acid about 17%) in 25l. Too bitter. 15g better for my taste.
Maybe 6g of Summit in your brew - at least for my taste.
Cascade is low(ish) alpha. The dry hops won't bitter at all. The 0 mins will, if you leave them in overnight, but not much.
I'd say that, apart from the bittering hops, you're not using a huge amount anyway. See if you like it :)

Thanks. I've been doing a bit of reading this afternoon and I've discovered leaving it in the kettle is an option. Do you cool down in the kettle then strain the hop debris out when transferring the cooled wort to your FV or do you remove the hops before the wort is cooled?

Once it's finished boiling I don't touch it. Lid on, cool overnight, don't even peek until I strain it into the FV the following day

Back