Soapy Off Flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cracked open one of these and the soapy flavour has really reduced. It's still there a teeny bit but it's only had one week conditioning so another two or three and I think it will have completely disapeared. It's actually a really very quaffable bitter. So I'm pleased I bottled it and didn't chuck it

It is off putting when you get that soapy taste, and I've only had it a few times and still not sure, even after reading up on what can cause soapy taste, what it actually is but thankfully each time it went away.

Well I've just cracked open another bottle of this and the soapy flavour has completely disapeared! In fact MrsMQ says it's the best beer that made yet! It's not as malty/sweet as I'd hoped (that's probably why MrsMQ likes it as I'm usually making chewy dark beers) as the US-05 has munched it's way through most of the sugars/crystal (83% attenuation) but you can really taste the EKG and First Gold now especially the EKG. I can highly recommend Tony51's 'leaving the hop debris in the FV' method. In fact I think I'm going to do it again on my next beer - another bitter.

Nice one, I hope you get to drink some of it if Mrs MQ likes it:drink:

That is pretty good result from what about ten days back :thumb:

The soapy flavour has completely gone from this now and the flavours are begining to blend nicely. Even though I was attempting to make a bitter I think I have accidently made a an English Pale/Golden Ale rather than a bitter (it's almost an IPA but not strong enough). It's more bitter than I had originally planned and because I forgot to put the 50g choccy malt for colouring in it's more golden colour than amber like a bitter

Eden Valley Mineral Water Company, Armathwaite, Cumbria CA4 9TU, UK ..between Carlisle and Penrith. Tesco ashbeck spec is similar and also from the Eden valley. For those with hard tap water, the Adsa eden falls, and Tesco ashbeck would probably be good for mixing starsan and avoiding a 'cloudy' reaction.

volvic is the lowest ph I can get from tesco ph7 the same as princes gate

I use that for mixing starsan and ph7.8 for my brews.

yup some uber hoppy brews can taste soapy.

none i've done tho' so maybe there's a technique that increases the chance of this?

The soapy flavour has completely gone from this now and the flavours are begining to blend nicely. Even though I was attempting to make a bitter I think I have accidently made a an English Pale/Golden Ale rather than a bitter (it's almost an IPA but not strong enough). It's more bitter than I had originally planned and because I forgot to put the 50g choccy malt for colouring in it's more golden colour than amber like a bitter

Glad this worked well for you Myqul I was a bit worried when you found teh flavour 'soapy' when it was new.

I've been doing this every brew since I first tried it. Working brilliantly with floral APAs based on Centennial and Citra and also with my English IPAs. Love 'em ! :)

Cheers

Glad this worked well for you Myqul I was a bit worried when you found teh flavour 'soapy' when it was new.

I've been doing this every brew since I first tried it. Working brilliantly with floral APAs based on Centennial and Citra and also with my English IPAs. Love 'em ! :)

Cheers

MrsMQ loves this beer. She described it as "smooth". Normally she doesn't drink my beers as I usually make heavy dark beers plus she usually prefers wine. But she keeps having a slurp of my pint everytime I drink this beer. I offer her a bottle but she then she'll say something like, "Im not drinking tonight" :lol:

I'll defiantly try this again but I think I'll use less hops next time. Iirc I left 60g of hops in the FV during the two weeks of fermentation

MrsMQ loves this beer. She described it as "smooth". Normally she doesn't drink my beers as I usually make heavy dark beers plus she usually prefers wine. But she keeps having a slurp of my pint everytime I drink this beer. I offer her a bottle but she then she'll say something like, "Im not drinking tonight" :lol:

I'll defiantly try this again but I think I'll use less hops next time. Iirc I left 60g of hops in the FV during the two weeks of fermentation

I've never left hops in for two week, well not that I can remember. leave the flame out hops in for 5 days then replace with a five day dry hop. My latest is a golden hoppy ale with simcoe & amarillo. Very nice too at 6% it's almost a session beer for me :-)

Very nice too at 6% it's almost a session beer for me :-)

Session beer? :)

Session in hospital for me that would be...

I'm setting myself a limit of two 500ml bottles for those sort of beers. Most of mine are now coming out at about 6% - 7% these days. I started off making 3% beers, but these ones just taste a lot better. The last one I did came out at 7.7% - 7.8% as near as I can measure it. It's a feast in a glass - I know that much. I'm going to call it 'Mad Jack's Pirate IPA' - Magnum for bittering and EKG for the rest. Great flavour.

Session beer? :)

Session in hospital for me that would be...

I'm setting myself a limit of two 500ml bottles for those sort of beers. Most of mine are now coming out at about 6% - 7% these days. I started off making 3% beers, but these ones just taste a lot better. The last one I did came out at 7.7% - 7.8% as near as I can measure it. It's a feast in a glass - I know that much. I'm going to call it 'Mad Jack's Pirate IPA' - Magnum for bittering and EKG for the rest. Great flavour.

yes generally I find higher abv beers have more flavour, although CELT experience turned that rule on their head with LA TENE 3.5% and GOLDEN AGE 4.2%. They are bursting with flavour and bitterness (they are unfiltered beers and have yeast in the bottle too) - and are mouth puckeringly bitter if you get some of that in your glass :lol:

6% - that's a step down for me. My last one before that ended up at 9.3% and out Belgianed the Belgians!:whistle:

That should probably be illegal for anyone under 50 years of age. :)

We've had some life and probably won't be missed by dying earlier than expected. LOL

I've packed 80 years into my 50 yr old frame so I can die happy ;-)

just enjoyed a 6% a 7.35% and a 9.3% - my sleighed in Belgium is not likely to last to xmas.
:lol:

to get back on topic sort of ish - none of the beers had a soapy off flavor:grin:

myqul .... try this with the fermentation reduced by 1/3 then scale down to your brew size. the abv should be in your preferred range - try with tesco value water - it really is a crisp hoppy beer without the soap.

I'd send you a bottle but you don't do 6% :whistle:

16/01/2016
Mj's west coast yeast re-hydrated
1kg dme
1kg dwe
450g golden syrup
500g clear candi sugar
Boiled for 15 mins in 6 litres water
1.050 adjusted
100g moteka 20 mins boils in 2 litres of water
topped up in fv to 21.5 litres
21/01/2016
removed hop bag with 50g of simcoe
squeezed bag very promising although a bit spicy atm.
27/01/2016
added 50g amarillo & 50g simcoe dry hopped pellets
31/01/2016
took reading 1.004 better than expected - light bitterness and tropical fruit flavour with very hoppy nose.
6.04%

Latest posts

Back