Greg Hughes Black IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply.

It's the first time I've used the software and it calculated OG and FG I think. Assuming I entered everything correctly (think there may be a way to share the recipe) would you expect the OG and FG to match the recipe if I scaled everything for 3/4 of the original recipe?

Thanks

Did you input the same Yeast into your software?

Bottled this yesterday. Smells stunning but the flavour was a bit weird. Couldn't quite put my finger on it. Went through the notes I have re off flavours but couldn't really pick one out. It might just need some time to mellow in the bottled.

I usually try a bottle weekly so I can track how the flavour changes.

No I put Fermentis/Safale US-05 in which is listed as an alternative in the table in Gregs book.

I am certainly no expert on these things, but that attenuation seems high compared to that shown for US05 on the software I use (Beersmith). Beersmith calculates attenuation of 73% minumum and a maximum of 80%. Your example works out at around 83% (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

Also your IBU's are way up the shoot! Same Hops in proportionate quantities and times?

I am certainly no expert on these things, but that attenuation seems high compared to that shown for US05 on the software I use (Beersmith). Beersmith calculates attenuation of 73% minumum and a maximum of 80%. Your example works out at around 83% (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

Also your IBU's are way up the shoot! Same Hops in proportionate quantities and times?

Yes it's showing 81% attenuation and it's the same hops and relative quantities although I wasn't totally sure how to add the hops at the end of the boil.

I'll try and take some more screen shots unless anyone can tell me how to share a link to the recipe?

Thanks

Ok, so I've checked my recipe on Brewers Friend again and think I'm getting somewhere. The latest adjustments result in the following recipe which is ok for ABV and EBC but still a little high (but much better) on the IBUs.

Black%20IPA%20Recipe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So I changed how I had entered the last three hop additions which had previously introduced more IBUs to the total but as I said, it's the first time I've used the software so I was bound to slip up somewhere!:lol:

I also noticed that my Alpha figures for the hops didn't quite match those in Greg's recipe so I altered them to the correct values for the ingredients I bought. The Apollo and Citra are about right but the Amarillo units are double what they should be at 10.5 rather than 5%. My question is should I reduce the Amarillo quantity by half to get the Alpha down to the right level (and reduce IBU) or will that adversely affect the finished product? Currently the IBU is showing 87 but the recipe calls for 60. Would this be very noticeable?

The other thing I noticed is that using the yeast from the recipe (Wyeast Ringwood 1187) makes the ABV just about spot on at 5.15% but using the equivalent dry yeast in Greg's book (Safale US-05) bumps this up to 5.91 which doesn't overly concern me. However, when I used the Yeast calculator tool it suggests I'm way down on the cells required from an 11.5g packet! Will one pack of yeast be enough?

I'll leave that with you all whilst I ponder water treatment...my head is hurting already:lol:!

Edit: Just realised the Amarillo doesn't actually show up as contributing any IBUs! My bad.. How else do I get the IBUs down to 60 (assuming I need to)?

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Reduce the hop amounts to reduce the IBU. I notice you have the hops in at the wrong times. some of those are due in at flame out.

Reduce the hop amounts to reduce the IBU. I notice you have the hops in at the wrong times. some of those are due in at flame out.
Hi
I wasn't sure how to enter those at flame out. I've assumed that they just stay in hence the 14 days. The other options all seemed to add IBUs or didn't sound appropriate.

I'd welcome any advice on how I should enter them.

Thanks

Hi
I wasn't sure how to enter those at flame out. I've assumed that they just stay in hence the 14 days. The other options all seemed to add IBUs or didn't sound appropriate.

I'd welcome any advice on how I should enter them.

Thanks

Is there an option for 0 minutes for your flame out hops? Also, the majority of your bitterness is going to come from your first addition hops (your apollo at 70 minutes), not the amarillo at 0 minutes, which will add aroma, but no bitterness.

However, I think there is a further problem with your setup on this software. You have a 27 litre boil size for a 17.5 litre ferment. I don't think you are going to boil off 10 litres in 70 minutes. I think this might be throwing off your IBU's.

Looking at the Greg Hughes recipe, it has 27 litre boil size for a 23 litre brew. I think you'd need to reduce this for your smaller batch. I'm not expert enough to give you precise volumes, but perhaps around 21 litres pre boil?

Ok thanks all.

Think I've maybe put in figure for liquor before the mash stage when it should be what goes into the boil after the mash and spare, which would be the 17 odd litres plus boil off and dead space. :doh:

I'll have a play with the figures.

Bingo!

So, I allowed for the 17.25l plus the 4.5l dead space in my boiler and allowed around 3.25l for boil off which gave me 25l. I then reduced the Apollo to 15g to get around 44 IBUs and the Citra to 20g to get just under 16. Both are now close to the recipe and give me an IBU of 60.5. :thumb:

I tasted this last week (early but like to see how it develops) and thought it was a write off. Thought it was very medicinal in flavour and was tempted to tip the lot. Decided to leave it a week and tried it again tonight (still a little early!) and it tastes much better. Still slightly medicinal but I think it may just be bitterness from the hops. I'm hoping so at least.

I tasted this last week (early but like to see how it develops) and thought it was a write off. Thought it was very medicinal in flavour and was tempted to tip the lot. Decided to leave it a week and tried it again tonight (still a little early!) and it tastes much better. Still slightly medicinal but I think it may just be bitterness from the hops. I'm hoping so at least.

Thanks for the update. I hope it improves for you. :smile:

Did you follow the recipe exactly? I nearly made the mistake of using Black malt instead of Carafa III. :doh:

Did you treat your water at all or did it not need it? Planning to treat mine as it's rock hard!

Cheers

Thanks for the update. I hope it improves for you. :smile:

Did you follow the recipe exactly? I nearly made the mistake of using Black malt instead of Carafa III. :doh:

Did you treat your water at all or did it not need it? Planning to treat mine as it's rock hard!

Cheers

Thanks mate. :thumb:

I did follow the receipt to the letter (only second grainfather brew so wanted it to be spot on). Had a few problems with too much liquid going down the central pipe and put this down to possibly adding the grains too quickly and not stirring much.

Pre boil gravity was 1042. ended up with 1060 which fell to 1011 after 2.5 weeks.

I think I added 2 campden tablets as the water heated up. My water is really hard too (Essex). I'll post an update next tasting. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back