Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkupeanut

Reaction score
Hi once my brew is fermented and transferred to a barrel do I still need to add sugar if then decided to bottle some of it? Would it be best either one or the other?
Thanks

Just to clarify, you've transferred your fermented beer to a pressure barrel, presumably having added priming sugar to the barrel?

If you've done this and then want to bottle some from the barrel, then no need to add any further sugar to the bottles.

I had 7 liters of stout left in my barrel that i decided to bottle, as i need the barrel for my wheat beer. I disolved about 20g sugar in a bit of water and split that between all the bottles. Just to give it a boost after releasing all the pressure from the barrel. If you do it then leave the bottles for a week or two to stabilise.

I took it he is planning on transferring to barrel with batch prime, then immediately bottle, but of course that might not be the case.

A little more info?

Thanks yeah I'm half way through my 1st brew and only have 10 bottles and might not get chance to get some more just yet so was going to transfer all to the barrel (using sugar)and then fill my 10 bottles straight away, I'm worried tho that the bottles won't get the same gas effect!

Thanks yeah I'm half way through my 1st brew and only have 10 bottles and might not get chance to get some more just yet so was going to transfer all to the barrel (using sugar)and then fill my 10 bottles straight away, I'm worried tho that the bottles won't get the same gas effect!

If you add your priming sugar to the barrel first (dissolved in a little boiled and cooled water), then rack the beer on top of this, the priming sugar should be evenly mixed into the beer.

If you then bottle from the barrel, the bottled beer should contain a proportionate amount of sugar.

Priming to a pressure barrel is usually done to the lower end of the priming scale as pressure barrels can't contain as much pressure as bottles. If you wanted your bottles to be a bit more carbed, you could add a little more sugar, but that would be a bit of a hassle for just a few bottles!

hi
I'm also new to brewing. I think my first brew has finished fermenting and is ready to be bottled. How much sugar do I need to add to each bottle or to the finished brew itself? I have roughly 3 litres.

hi
I'm also new to brewing. I think my first brew has finished fermenting and is ready to be bottled. How much sugar do I need to add to each bottle or to the finished brew itself? I have roughly 3 litres.

At the top of the page you will find a 'calculators' tab. Go into there, you will find one for priming. It gives different sugars, and styles of beer.

Hi!
One thing that I would advise - batch prime before transferring into bottles - it's much easier.

True for a 20l+ batch but for 3 litres, it's going to be 5 or 6 bottles (unless he's using 330mls) so i'd say bottle prime them!
I brew 23l and bottle 12 and keg the rest, because of this I prime each bottle individually with a no calculator approach of 0.5 tsp per bottle!
DA

hi

I say: It's Friday, you have three litres, just drink them!!

And get another brew on quick!:)

Back