Flame out hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are two aspects to this. One is that adding high alpha hops at flame out and then leaving them in near boiling wort for an extended time will affect the bitterness.

The second component is the temperature at which the essential oils and resins that provide the hop flavour boil off. Some of these are much lower than 80oC and there is some suggestion that steeping flame-out additions at much lower temps might increase the hop flavour.

This is being looked at in the experimental brewing blog http://www.experimentalbrew.com/exp...lower-temperature-improve-final-hop-character but there are no results yet. Given the lack of significant results from the Brulosophy experiment I'll be interested to see if this shows any difference.

Second article is interesting.. almost suggests no need to add any hops during teh boil once you added the bittering.. just hop after you flame out.

This is exactly what I've done on my latest brew.

30g Magnum (14.2%AA) 60 min
40g Simcoe (13.2%AA) 0 mins
40g Chinook (12.9%AA) 0 mins
40g Mosaic (14.1%AA) 0 mins

the 0 min additions were added just below 64c and steeped for 1 hour then cooled to pitching temp. I'll also do 40/40/40 dry hop

It's the 3rd variation of this recipe I've done with a similar amount of hops, tweaking the magnum addition to get the desired IBU's. First attempt had 15, 10, 5, 0 additions and dry hop. Second was 5, 0 and dry hop. I decided to just dump all late additions into the hop steep to see what happens

This is exactly what I've done on my latest brew.

30g Magnum (14.2%AA) 60 min
40g Simcoe (13.2%AA) 0 mins
40g Chinook (12.9%AA) 0 mins
40g Mosaic (14.1%AA) 0 mins

the 0 min additions were added just below 64c and steeped for 1 hour then cooled to pitching temp. I'll also do 40/40/40 dry hop

It's the 3rd variation of this recipe I've done with a similar amount of hops, tweaking the magnum addition to get the desired IBU's. First attempt had 15, 10, 5, 0 additions and dry hop. Second was 5, 0 and dry hop. I decided to just dump all late additions into the hop steep to see what happens

That's interesting, I was reading about an American brewery that have adopted this technique.... I can't remember which one though, possibly stone brewing..?
When will it be ready, I'd love to know what you think of it?

I've been taking the (at least according to Mitch Steele) Thornbridge approach of 30 min steep a flame out.

I was going to try dropping the temperature to 80 pre-hopping, but that brulosophy article has put me off. It's seems odd that anyone bothers to drop the temperature before final hopping if there's no real difference. I wonder if this is one of those large scale brewing techniques that doesn't translate to the home brew scale?

I don't think I leave my flame out hops in long enough reading these posts. I flame out and add them and because I use a plate chiller they are only in there for 5 mins or so. Maybe I should flame out, hop then leave them in there for half an hour then drain the kettle and chill?

The second component is the temperature at which the essential oils and resins that provide the hop flavour boil off. Some of these are much lower than 80oC and there is some suggestion that steeping flame-out additions at much lower temps might increase the hop flavour.
When I first read that elsewhere, it was a real eye opener. I had previously just assumed that if I add hops at flame out, then I wouldn't be aggressively treating them. The truth is that the hop aroma oils boil instantly at temperatures much lower than 100 degrees, lower than 80 in fact. So although I haven't the time or experience to prove this, I'm pretty sure you'd get more flavour at lower steeping temps.

Just tried a sample of my hop steep only beer and I can't say it has added any hop wow factor. I've dumped in 120g of dry hops and I'll see what difference that makes. If I get good aroma and flavour from that I may try just putting all my late hops in as dry hops on the next brew of this recipe.

Latest posts

Back