Growler astringency weirdness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I bottled porter made with wyeast 1469 and mostly put it in 330ml bottles along with some 1L growlers and it tastes fantastic from the bottles. But I've just opened a 1L growler of exactly the same beer and it has an odd astringency on the back of the tongue with not much (if any) of the nice ester flavour coming through. I'm mystified as to why this would be as I batch prime and I just filled up the growler along with the bottles :confused:

One of the last bottles you siphoned in, a lot of yeast sediment?

Something you ate changed your palate?

The beer in the glass had a chance to warm up because of the greater volume, so a previously hidden flavour came through?

Dirty bottle / cleaning fluid in the bottle?

Probably a stupid suggestion but could it be the growlers because of size and shape didn't clean aswell?? I assume they were washing in the same way

One of the last bottles you siphoned in, a lot of yeast sediment?

Something you ate changed your palate?

The beer in the glass had a chance to warm up because of the greater volume, so a previously hidden flavour came through?

Dirty bottle / cleaning fluid in the bottle?

I was thinking maybe yeast sediment. There's a lot more yeast in a 1L growler than a 330L bottle and the C02 will of course have disturbed it. I've still got the other half of the growler that I will drink tommorow. So to test the theory I will pour it into a glass then stick it in the fridge to settle out while I drink something else

I didn't eat anyting before drinkiing the beer. I often don't chill my beer and drink it at room temp (this was). I usually just rinse my bottles with water then oven them. Then on bottling day star san them so I don' think it was cleaning fluid as I dont use any (other than may be star san)

Seems the cause was the yeast (bite) in the end. I'm having a cheeky afternoon pint of the other half of the growler I opened last night and it tastes fine now

Whenever I pour the first pint from one of my growlers it kind of glugs out of the growler so this, possibly/probably, along with the carbonation lifting the yeast from the bottom stirred up the yeast and caused the astringency (yeast bite)

Seems the cause was the yeast (bite) in the end. I'm having a cheeky afternoon pint of the other half of the growler I opened last night and it tastes fine now

Whenever I pour the first pint from one of my growlers it kind of glugs out of the growler so this, possibly/probably, along with the carbonation lifting the yeast from the bottom stirred up the yeast and caused the astringency (yeast bite)

I suppose that was always going to be the likeliest answer. I've always preferred bottles without shoulders because they're less likely to glug.

Latest posts

Back