Has my brew got stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Checked my AG 10 litre batch a few days ago and it was reading 1020 after just over a week, just checked it again and its still reading the same, is this stuck? Is there anything i can do, think the OG was about 1052

Well the usual advice is to stir it gently to rouse the yeast ( but avoid whisking air into it!) and raise the temperature to something like 22c.
With a starting OG of 1052 you might be looking to fermentation finishing somewhere under 1015, so yes 1020 is a bit too high. Might have been caused by the fermentation temperature dropping a bit too low, or your mash temperature might have been too high which results in more unfermentable sugars. If this is suspected you could try getting a packet of amylase enzyme - I've used it twice and it worked once for me.

I'd say it wasn't stuck, rather had finished... I've had brews finish up there and not had an issue, as long as the OG was higher, you can see exactly from what hoptoit said, that it should be OK. So yes, you can keg / bottle or whatever else you had planned. :)

I'm just curious would yeast nutrient help things along? It's used a lot in wine but I never see it mentioned for beer.

Latest posts

Back