Dry hopping proportions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made up a batch of IPA over the weekend that needed to be split into 2 FVs, a 30l and a 10l. Obviously, I will want to dry hop it for 7 days using using hops of around 5-6%AA but can't remember the rough proportions of grams per litre; can anyone help?

Dry hopping does not contribute to the IBU count, it just gives aroma. Most sources I've found via the internet recommend starting with 1-2 oz for a 5 gallon batch, which would be somewhere around 28-56 grams for 19 liters. You could use that to calculate how much to add to your vessels. Some folks use considerably bigger amounts but this might be a good starting point - evaluate the results and then add more or less next time round. :cheers:

gurtpint said:
Dry hopping does not contribute to the IBU count, it just gives aroma. Most sources I've found via the internet recommend starting with 1-2 oz for a 5 gallon batch, which would be somewhere around 28-56 grams for 19 liters. You could use that to calculate how much to add to your vessels. Some folks use considerably bigger amounts but this might be a good starting point - evaluate the results and then add more or less next time round. :cheers:
oh yeah sorry been reading and responding to a few different posts think im getting mixed up with what im typing lol

This depends on a few factors, but mostly personal preference. How much aroma and what type of aroma are you shooting for? What is the OG and FG of the beer? If its a higher gravity beer more dry hops will be needed to break through the sweet malty aroma. If its a lower gravity beer, then too much dry hopping could make the beer seem unbalanced.

I usually go with 2 oz per 5 gallons. That's loose pellets. If you are using whole hops or a muslin bag you might want to up that slightly.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497523,-120.853097

Why not try dry hopping your larger FV as the guys have recommended above and then double the ratio on the little one.

See if it makes a difference and work out which one you like better. Or take the opportunity to try a different hop etc.

Back