Bottle opener

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbud78

Regular.
Reaction score
Wanted to try my new capper last night, realised I didn't have a bottle opener in the garage so turned one :lol:

2016-12-19%2021.30.56.jpg

2016-12-19%2021.31.11.jpg

Fantastic!

I see your a wood worker are you an AG brewer? Have you made a mash paddle yet? I've seen some fantastic ones on the interwebs but all the hard wood ones I've seen for sale are at least 20 quid

Fantastic!

I see your a wood worker are you an AG brewer? Have you made a mash paddle yet? I've seen some fantastic ones on the interwebs but all the hard wood ones I've seen for sale are at least 20 quid

In the process of buying stuff for BIAB, I'll definitely make a paddle. Not sure if I'll turn the handle and have a flat blade or have the whole thing flat, project for the new year.

Also going to make a scoop for the grain ;) similar to these https://i.ytimg.com/vi/e5-A28EEhbI/maxresdefault.jpg

Gotta have something to do while your mashing xD

In the process of buying stuff for BIAB, I'll definitely make a paddle. Not sure if I'll turn the handle and have a flat blade or have the whole thing flat, project for the new year.

Also going to make a scoop for the grain ;) similar to these https://i.ytimg.com/vi/e5-A28EEhbI/maxresdefault.jpg

Gotta have something to do while your mashing xD

Those scoops are so cool. Wonder what other bits of HB kit a woodworker could make for themselves?

Jump on the band wagon with bespoke HB items designed by yourself with Homebrewers in mind.Nice little sideline.:whistle:

TBH with a young family I struggle to get time to make things for myself, I try to accommodate when people ask for things but I never make money.

That bottle opener was £3.90 for the actual bottle opener, the timber would be maybe £3 then P&P your up to almost £10 already. It took me about 40 mins with setting it all up, cutting the blank then making it. They sell for about £20 on the craft sites, not many people willing to pay £20 for a bottle opener :D

You never know till you try.I have a brother in law who does painting, photography and has small CNC type router and he does plaques and pictures but your right it can be quite a niche market but you never know until you try.I do sympathise though as I have 4 children myself.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Loving the wood work skillz. Now I know zero about this kind of thing but when you buy a piece of wood to work doesnt it normally not have the bark on? It looks like to went into your back garden to chop a tree down and turn it into a mash paddle. :lol:

And what's the spoon for? or is that just for 'artistic reference'

Loving the wood work skillz. Now I know zero about this kind of thing but when you buy a piece of wood to work doesnt it normally not have the bark on? It looks like to went into your back garden to chop a tree down and turn it into a mash paddle. :lol:

And what's the spoon for? or is that just for 'artistic reference'

Spoon just gives size reference, I'm predominately a wood turner and we use a lot of green wood as we cant get big chunks of hard wood at a good price. Every one I know lets me know if they hear of trees coming down or letting me have old hard wood furniture ect.

TBH with a young family I struggle to get time to make things for myself, I try to accommodate when people ask for things but I never make money.

I can empathise with that! :thumb: :thumb:

My brother's bowling club bar had a ship's bell that was used to call "Time!"

As the bell had no traditional bell-rope I made one for him and when he asked me how much he owed me I let him buy me a pint.

Less than a week later he told me how much admired the new bell-rope was; and announced that he had even got me an order for another one with the words "He's even prepared to pay five pounds for it."

What he didn't know was that the materials for the one in the bowling club bar had cost about three quid and it had taken me about twenty hours of work to turn the cotton twine into a bell-rope. :doh:

I made the new bell-rope, got my brother to help me drink the fiver and earnestly requested that he didn't get me any more commissions. :whistle:

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

I can empathise with that! :thumb: :thumb:

My brother's bowling club bar had a ship's bell that was used to call "Time!"

As the bell had no traditional bell-rope I made one for him and when he asked me how much he owed me I let him buy me a pint.

Less than a week later he told me how much admired the new bell-rope was; and announced that he had even got me an order for another one with the words "He's even prepared to pay five pounds for it."

What he didn't know was that the materials for the one in the bowling club bar had cost about three quid and it had taken me about twenty hours of work to turn the cotton twine into a bell-rope. :doh:

I made the new bell-rope, got my brother to help me drink the fiver and earnestly requested that he didn't get me any more commissions. :whistle:

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

Haha, I've had so many of my daughters friends parents ask me for a price to build one of these. Materials alone are more than what there willing to pay but we live in an age of cheap Chinese rubbish. The £300 job from Tesco might do a job but this thing will hopefully out live me :mrgreen:

IMG_6239.jpg

...I hope your brew shed is equally good. .
Yeah people do like to request stuff they'd like...my brother pointed out he liked my beer and I should make him batch...fine..I said it's £20 for a half decent kit and £10 for my water and time..and it'll take at least 6 weeks..he looked at me like I had a wellie on my head. I've also had a lot of interest shown since having an allotment. .everyone loves fresh veg. .but can you wash the dirt and slugs off first?
Scroungers...

Cheers

Clint

Haha, I've had so many of my daughters friends parents ask me for a price to build one of these. Materials alone are more than what there willing to pay but we live in an age of cheap Chinese rubbish. The �£300 job from Tesco might do a job but this thing will hopefully out live me :mrgreen:

Crikey, that's a small brewshed...:lol:

Latest posts

Back