Sous Vide. (threads merged)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawlo7671

Regular.
Reaction score
When we're done spending a ton of money on boilers, pots, mash tuns etc
can it be utilized for other tasks ?

I kept the missus happy this weekend using the temperature control on the grainfather to do Sous Vide steak, sous vide is a form of cooking that requires very precise temperatures, the food is cooked in vacuum sealed bags in a volume of water. The end result were steaks cooked perfectly edge to edge and a happy wife.

This got me thinking, what else can brew equipment be used for ?

That is interesting. Never thought about it that way.

Not exactly where you're going, but along the same lines: after having a perfectly done sous vide steak recently, the missus and I discussed getting a sous vide cooker (the kind that clamps onto the side of the pot) and my mind went to "hmmm, I could mash 1 gallon BIAB batches with that..."

We use my digital thermometer to check the temperature in Mrs. Cwrw's corn snake tank. Hang on a minute though, maybe I use her digital thermometer to check my beer fermentation temperatures?

I did a sous vide Teriyaki chicken this evening in the Bulldog Brewer. No other method can get chicken so succulent and juicy. One hour at 64C, on some noodles with home made Teriyaki sauce, broccoli and spring onion slithers. Delicious.
image.png

I just got the vacuum sealer yesterday, and I'm looking forward to playing around more with sous vide.

How are you getting in with your sealer Ian? I really like the idea of getting one for freezing as well. Have some gammon already wrapped going to try it out on later today.

Yeah its good. I got the Fresh World one from Amazon as I had a voucher. It seems to be exactly the same as one of the Andrew James ones but with different branding and a bit cheaper. The seal is good and has held the three things I've cooked so far, and it really does suck all the air out. I'll definitely be using it for freezing and for part used hop packets. Did fillet steaks the other day, 45 min at 55C with thyme and garlic then sear on the griddle, and they were incredible. Carrots are good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we're done spending a ton of money on boilers, pots, mash tuns etc
can it be utilized for other tasks ?

I kept the missus happy this weekend using the temperature control on the grainfather to do Sous Vide steak, sous vide is a form of cooking that requires very precise temperatures, the food is cooked in vacuum sealed bags in a volume of water. The end result were steaks cooked perfectly edge to edge and a happy wife.

This got me thinking, what else can brew equipment be used for ?
What a bloody good idea, you're a genius! I'm going to steal your idea (and pass it off as my own if anyone asks!).

the obvious use cant be discussed in here, just ensure your boil pot is 100% ss and ptfe sealed.. pfte tape makes a great poormans parafilm for lid sealing ;)

i watered my garden with a full 23 litre glass carboy today by hand with no carrier/strap (I'd been washing it)

**** me that's heavy.

Al

Yeah its good. I got the Fresh World one from Amazon as I had a voucher. It seems to be exactly the same as one of the Andrew James ones but with different branding and a bit cheaper. The seal is good and has held the three things I've cooked so far, and it really does suck all the air out. I'll definitely be using it for freezing and for part used hop packets. Did fillet steaks the other day, 45 min at 55C with thyme and garlic then sear on the griddle, and they were incredible. Carrots are good too.

That looks decent its on my want list now. I have some gammon in the fridge already sealed. What sort of temp and time would you suggest? Only small pieces. Like the idea of doing carrots as well. I bet asparagus would be good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks decent its on my want list now. I have some gammon in the fridge already sealed. What sort of temp and time would you suggest? Only small pieces. Like the idea of doing carrots as well. I bet asparagus would be good too.

gammon cooked in its preserving salt solution may well cook too salty if not removes and rinsed off in advance.

fwiw butchers in real butchers shops can be very accommodating, the one in our local shopping centre is happy to reseal green hams ive bought from him after a 24-48hr desalination soak along with a marinade too ;) the domestic vac bags are too small for a nice haunch ;)

btw if you freeze a marinade in an ice cube tray you can vac pack em in a cheap domestic vac packer which unlike the professional jobbies dont deal well with liquids.

I've no idea how to cook gammon sous vide but a for sure there is someone online that would know. It might be too salty, as Fil says, but then again I've grilled gammon steaks straight out the pack and they turn out ok. I guess there is only one way to find out.

BTW you dont NEED a vac packer for souse viede cooking.. ziplock and ordinare placky bags work just as well simply submerging in the waterbath will evacuate all the air and the bags can be suspended from washing lines strung across the pot top or similar ;)

iirc a green ham is cooked @ circa 65-70C check online for minimum safe temps and duration, with a big ham (2-3kg) i do it overnight..

gammon will come out very pale and appealing so be prepared to either smother with gravy/sauce or give it a flash fry in on a griddle if you have one.
I would also trim the fat off completely before the plate..

i will oven bake @ gas 8 for 20 minutes to give the skin of a ham some colour as out of the souse veide its very pale and sad looking

And NEVER be tempted to try a bit of beef brisket in a souse viede cook set up - EPIC FAIL!! == Uber chewie, brisket needs pot roasting temps to break down collegen which pockets the meat

24 hours?? and 85c eh.. , iirc our 1kg? joint got an overnight cook and quick flame searing for a sunday lunch, I cant recall the temp used but I think it was the same as suggested for steaks.. which could also have contributed to the FAIL?? it was like chewing a rubber honeycomb of meat. Oh and we had folk round who had been given the hard sell on the cooking method the w/end before! ended up with freezer chilli and all the trimmings for dinner To this day im still greeted with a 'Rubbery or Chilli, Day Phil'..

If we screwed it up by all means go for it,I would still suggest giving it a test run before having the company round for lunch..

Another +1 for Sous Vide.

For anything that takes less than a couple of hours you can use any vessel that is water tight and retains heat well, which anyone not doing kits already has, your mash tun.

I did a couple of supermarket rib-eye steaks in my Igloo Ice Cube, even hooked the corners of the bags under the copper manifold on the bottom to keep them submerged! They came out amazing, best steaks I have cooked at home.

The thing I love about it, aside from the results, is that the process is hands off and you get the same result whether you cook something for 1 hour or 4 (for example). This means you can just get everything else ready before removing the meat from the water, give it a quick sear and then plate without having to rest anything.

Did a pork loin joint last night, overcooked it slightly and it was still the best pork I have ever eaten.

I have a 'sous vide wand' for cooking in a water bath. It's great for steaks. Two hours for a rump steak straight from the freezer, or longer, it doesn't matter and then two or three minutes each side on the charcoal barbecue and you have the best ever steak for enjoying with a glass of home brewed beer!

Back