Mangrove Jack's Hop Spider - gubbins in kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi,

How do people rate the Mangrove Jack's Hop Spider?

I recently purchased it and found that when using with hop pellets quite a lot of hop gubbins ended up in the kettle - not what I was hoping for. I think this is because the mesh is quite coarse - 800 microns.

Has anyone got enough hop spider experience to 'compare and contrast' with other hop spiders. I want to know if I can do better than Mangrove jack's version....

Thanks,
JRT

Yeah you can get 100 micron spiders BUT you wont get proper utilization out of your hops because even with the mangrove hop spider (i have one ) I found that the hops block the mesh stopping the flow of wort through. I just chuck my hops in to the pot now and let the pump filter deal with it

Hi,

How do people rate the Mangrove Jack's Hop Spider?

I recently purchased it and found that when using with hop pellets quite a lot of hop gubbins ended up in the kettle - not what I was hoping for. I think this is because the mesh is quite coarse - 800 microns.

Has anyone got enough hop spider experience to 'compare and contrast' with other hop spiders. I want to know if I can do better than Mangrove jack's version....

Thanks,
JRT

I use 5 litre paint strainers from amozon. No idea about microns but there very fine. I just clothes peg them to the side or the kettle.

I use one, but only use leaf hops. It works ok for me though.
Was wondering about pellet hops in it anyway so that's my question answered - thanks. I'll stick to leaf hops.
Cheers

I have one (not Mangrove Jack) that is fine enough to contain the pellets but do worry about utilisation as you do not get much movement in it during the boil.
With pellets I have found the best way is to remove all filters and do a whirlpool (large spoon handy here) about 10 mins after the boil and then let it all settle for 20 mins. Just have to be a bit careful draining the last bit from the boiler as the pellet debris is still quite mobile.

IMG_0748.jpg

I use the hop spider if I have to mix leaf and pellet hops.

I agree complete waste of time. only just spotted your post after I had posted my thoughts about it in a new thread

Latest posts

Back