Too vigorous a boil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyC

Reaction score
This is my second AG brew and I had a go using the Rauchbier recipe by BrewStew in the How to section (excellent guide by the way), but I used half the ingredients and scaled down the liquid content accordingly.
I ended up with 13L of wort to go into the boil and after an hour boiling I was left with 7L (+1L in the dead space) which seems like a lot of evaporation.

The boiler is just a 56L stainless steel pan with a 2.4kW element. I took the lid off during the boil and the boiler was outside for the boil up.
It it possible the boil was too vigorous ? I don’t have any way of controlling the rate of boil, its either on or off.
Maybe I should keep the lid partially on to trap some of the evaporation.
Many thanks for any help.:thumb:

Keeping the lid part on will likely make it boil even more, I would just top up the water during the boil.

Hi!
You could buy a cheap voltage regulator like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NGBS340/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Once full boil is achieved, gradually reduce the power until you get a rolling boil.

On my first AG boil, I thought the boil was too gentle, yet according to this vid I had a good rolling boil.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRrW0U5vwk[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
For any given size pan and heat source, the water lost to evaporation will be the same no matter the size of the brew. So in your case that's 5 litres.

I don't understand losses due to `dead space' below the tap. Surely when you drain off the brew down to the tap you then tip up your boiler to get the rest of it? I usually expect to have no liquid at all left in my boiler when I've filled the FV.

Thanks for the advice gents.
Looking at the video I think my boil is on the vigorous side, that voltage regulator looks a good bet just to take the edge off the boil a bit.
Cwrw I was going on the assumption of allowing 10% for boil off, but what you say makes perfect sense, I’ll just allow for 5L of evaporation in future.
I left the 1L in the boiler as my hop bag got ripped apart in the boil up, so it was looking pretty messy in the bottom of the boiler, I’ll be tipping her up in future though.

Latest posts

Back