Dark belgium candi sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanzanite

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just made a 2kg batch of Dark candi sugar its like black glass, Tastes sweet and like rich bonfire toffee, with different back flavours like prune and molasses. The good lady came in sucking a piece and said this is good stuff. Going to use it on a Belguim Oud Vlaams Bruin. (old brown ale) Making now to age for Christmas will be using 250g of dark spray malt and the rest made up with the Candi sugar, Any one made this beer ??

What method did you use to make the candi sugar?

2kg white sugar , a cup of water and a around a tablespoon of lemon just slowly dissolve the sugar making sure it fully liquid and dissolved , increase heat until its boiling then leave until it starts to colour, keep an eye on it at this stage , control the heat so it dosnt burn, when its just before the colour you want pour into a tin and let it set, you weigh out your required amount and dissolve in boiling water before adding to your brew . keeps ages in a plastic container, you can make all different darkness levels for different beers:thumb:

Thanks, there's a bunch of different recipes so o can never decide which method to use. Let us know how it works out in your beer.

How long did you need to keep it on the heat?

it was around twenty five mins, when it starts to change colour its only around 5 mins from straw to black so keep an eye on it in the final stages. when it gets light golden chuck in a big bag of salted peanuts mix turn into a buttered tin and you have nut brittle.:thumb:

it was around twenty five mins, when it starts to change colour its only around 5 mins from straw to black so keep an eye on it in the final stages. when it gets light golden chuck in a big bag of salted peanuts mix turn into a buttered tin and you have nut brittle.:thumb:

ps it keeps very well in a plastic container so you have it at hand to experiment with in different brews. i am going to use 200g in a woodfords wherry along with spray malt (no sugar)

Going to use it on a Belguim Oud Vlaams Bruin. (old brown ale) Making now to age for Christmas will be using 250g of dark spray malt and the rest made up with the Candi sugar, Any one made this beer ??

Yes, regularly - it's my favourite of all the Brewferm kits. I use Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of Candi Sugar, which seems to work. Because it's a bit weaker than some of the other Brewferms it matures quicker, it'll be good in 3-4 months. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, regularly - it's my favourite of all the Brewferm kits. I use Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of Candi Sugar, which seems to work. Because it's a bit weaker than some of the other Brewferms it matures quicker, it'll be good in 3-4 months. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Darrell if it comes good in 4 months that gives me time to make another for christmas and drink this one. ha ha just the job

2kg white sugar , a cup of water and a around a tablespoon of lemon just slowly dissolve the sugar making sure it fully liquid and dissolved , increase heat until its boiling then leave until it starts to colour, keep an eye on it at this stage , control the heat so it dosnt burn, when its just before the colour you want pour into a tin and let it set, you weigh out your required amount and dissolve in boiling water before adding to your brew . keeps ages in a plastic container, you can make all different darkness levels for different beers:thumb:

Did you use a thermometer at all to moniter the temp or just, "increase heat until its boiling then leave until it starts to colour" which seems to indicate you just left it to boil and didnt use a thermometer?

Did you use a thermometer at all to moniter the temp or just, "increase heat until its boiling then leave until it starts to colour" which seems to indicate you just left it to boil and didnt use a thermometer?

just held it a a rolling boil the same has when making bonfire toffee , until it starts to colour

just held it a a rolling boil the same has when making bonfire toffee , until it starts to colour

I've never made bonfire toffee, but your particular method seems easier than that older guide I linked on the other thread as you have to monitor the temp, keep adding spoonfuls of water etc. I did have a go (following the older guide) but just ended up with a lump of concrete like sugar in the bottom of the pot (dunno what I did wrong)

I've never made bonfire toffee, but your particular method seems easier than that older guide I linked on the other thread as you have to monitor the temp, keep adding spoonfuls of water etc. I did have a go (following the older guide) but just ended up with a lump of concrete like sugar in the bottom of the pot (dunno what I did wrong)

you were adding cold water to boiling sugar syrup to try to control the temp. there is a candy sweet factory close to my house , the guy makes his nut brittle the same method i use , belgian candi sugar is just a fancy name to charge brewer more money for crack hard coloured sugar. you can see it change colour before your eyes stop cooking just before your required colour. you must becareful has its like molten lava

Back