Metabisulphite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyCaner

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I'm in right forum but...

Can anybody advise on a cheap source of sodium metabisulphite to use instead of campden tablets.

Thanks,

DirtyC

Thanks, I saw that, looks like a pretty good deal. Just wondered where everybody else gets there's. Probably go with this though.

DC

My lhbs sells it in bags. That much is a lifetime supply so don't worry too much about cost. Some people recommend against it for sanitization but to quote ch berry, trust me when i say, sulphur dioxide kills all known bacteria :)

If you REALLY want it for sanitising its best to add some citric or other foodgrade acid . That way it liberates its sulphurdioxide ,SO2 , gas right away . I dont have to add any as the water where I am right now is quite acidic and makes the stuff fizz and gas as soon as its dissolved .

Myself , I mainly use it for squirting a mild solution into worts now and then . That and I keep a spray of 10% solution around to spritz things that I have touched or moved whilst in use , just for safeties sake . A bit overkill but I have my reasons . ;)

I used to use it for sterilising but now use VWP.

I was gonna use it for adding to wine making musts and to clean some fruits n that sort of thing. I have a book with recipes like use a sulphited orange etc.

Some beer recipes say add it to water to get rid of chloramines but to be honest ive managed this far without.

Cheers,

DirtyC

Always worth doing to get rid of chloramines (that you cant smell)....water companies change what they add to your supply without notice depending on the water THEY are supplied with . Its not worth NOT chucking a campden tab or a bit of sulphite into your water pre brew when you think of all the time and effort and expense at stake .

Also , since you are using VWP (as I do sometimes) metabisuphite is a handy thing to have around in solution . Spray a little on your VWP and rinsed items before you use them , the sulphite neutralises any traces of chlorine left behind and as a bonus knocks of anything that way have got onto your stuff between rinsig and using . Since sulphite is a no rinse cleaner thers no need to rinse again .

Cheers mate, I'll give that a go when I get some more spray bottles. Just spray it on and leave it, no need to rub/wipe?

Hi everybody,

its not exactly the same topic, but I was wondering if you can boil off Potassium metabisulphite because I wanted to use lemon juice which has it in it and did not want to risk my fermentation.

Cheers

Laurin

RobWalker said:
to quote ch berry, trust me when i say, sulphur dioxide kills all known bacteria :)
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

At what concentration?? A Damn sight more than 50ppm (i.e 1 CT in one gallon or 10ml of a 10% solution in one gallon)!!!

Do not rely on metabisulphite as an effective sanitiser, it is really an antifermentative and aids to knock down wlid yeast populations until our brewing yeast can take over

Use chlorine to kill bacteria, and a rinse with metabisulphite to neutralise the chlorine.

While adding acid to a metabisulphite solution liberates sulphur dioxide . . . most of that goes into the atmosphere not staying in solution . . .rendering it even less likely to be an effective sanitiser

Latest posts

Back