Barley Wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hong

Reaction score
Was thinking of doing one just simply out of curiosity. Anyone ever done one? Anyone recommend it, or is it simply too strong to be palatable? Thinking like Special brew type! :sick:

hong, go to your local tesco and buy a bottle of Robinson's "old tom" in the beer section. bloody lovely drink it is.
im thinking of trying a kit strong ale/ barly wine to put away for Christmas but can't decide which to try although the woodfordes "headcracker" keeps drawing me to it :hmm: .

Cheers Mick will do, is it similar to barley wine do you know? I ahve seen the headcracker & likewise looks tempting because you dont have to add anything to it, it sounds almost foolproof!

is Old Tom a Barley wine? i had my first bottle of that on friday, it was not what i normally go for but it was nice.I didn't think I'd ever had Barley wine, but maybe I have!

Way back when I made a Boots Classic range Barley Wine kit and it was one of the best kits that I had done at that point . If your taste swings that way , give it a go . I have a lager in secondaryat the moment that accidentally became a 1080 OG , sort of Tennents Super - ish ....god alone knows who will drink it , good thing its the making that I enjoy the most :roll: ;)

shearclass said:
is Old Tom a Barley wine? i had my first bottle of that on friday, it was not what i normally go for but it was nice.I didn't think I'd ever had Barley wine, but maybe I have!

quote from wikipedia "Barley wine or Barleywine is a beer style of strong ale originating in England."

i would say Old Tom falls into this category shearclass :thumb:

Excellent. I saw 'World's best beer' sign and thought i would have to give it a go.

As I say, not my usual style, but i liekd it. I seem to be coming round mroe to the diea of stouts and dark beers.

Back