Mexican Cerveza / Saflager S-23

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello, kegs are empty and brewery is in pieces but when tidying I found a Coopers Cerveza and I had 3x s-23 lying around that needed using so I threw them together.

This is my first time doing a 'lager' even tho it is a kit lager I am still using a lager yeast. I have temp controlled it to 11C which I suspect is at least 1C higher in the core of the fermenter. My questions are:
How long does this yeast usually take to fully ferment out?
How long should I do a rest for?
Is it worth lagering a kit beer. I was thinking of getting it down to about 1-0C for a couple of weeks to clear then kegging (force carbonation) and lagering for a further couple of weeks is this needed? I hear of people not bothering with kit beers?

d

DaveMack said:
S - 23 @ 11C takes about 3 weeks to ferment out ;)
Nice one! Been trying to find that info for the last week! I'll leave it a month before racking to 2ndary

I'd agree with DM. I wouldn't bother with a rest, and there's no harm in lagering, there's no need to rush. I find that S-23 is not very floculent, so a good period of lagering will help.

With lagers, Mr Malty's advice is to pitch and then forget about for 3-4 weeks because at the lower temperatures you are not going to get any off flavours from the trub.

Good luck :cheers: I'm going to be doing a Munich Helles lager in the morning :D

Well its been 4 weeks now. I did a rest by accident for a day! Otherwise it has sat at 12c beer temp for 4 weeks and at 0.5c for the last week. Unfortunately my fermenter is a tough white plastic so I can not see thru the beer, but when i take a sample it is VERY milky, it tastes promising but defiantly has the 'home-brew' flavour. I am assuming that the beer is clearing slowly and naturally with the tap at the bottom it'll be cloudiest there. Its going to get another week at 0.5c before getting filtered and kegged as I really need the FV and the fridge for more beer. If needs be I'll re-rack the cornie to get some clarity in a couple of weeks.. I am still thinking it'll be 8 weeks + before I get anything worth drinking.

D

Latest posts

Back