Wyeast Activator smack pack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyMat

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to start a new batch, and have a Wyeast activator smack pack - direct pitch. I am going to use a starter (even though they say you can direct pitch into 5 gallon batch). They say it only takes around 3 hours for the pack to swell up and ready to pitch. However the last smack pack I had took over a week.

My Question is if I smack the pack at the start of the day, and intend to ptich it into my starter in the evening (so about 12 hours after smacking the activator pack) Do I run the risk of the pack splitting or exploding if is does swell up in the first few hours but as I would be leaving it longer (unattended) will it end up bursting?

Thanks.

I found they are overly optimistic when it comes to yeast viability in smackpacks, 4 hrs is usually not enough. With Propagators it was safe to assume ~1 day for every month since production date, Activators are bit quickier.

I have simple ruleset:

- if it's lager yeast: make starter
- if it's outdated (>6 months since production): make starter
- if it's not fully swollen after 3-5 days: make starter
- if it's Propagator (yes, they still can be found somewhere): make starter

Swollen package can stay in warm for some time without harm (a day or two), it will not explode. If it has to wait longer, put it into fridge.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Good to know that the smack packs can be left swollen for a while, without any adverse effects.

I think I will smack the pack in the morning and then in the evening after work make a starter - all going well should be ready for brew day on Sunday :party:

Thanks

I have used a few of the smack packs some have swollen some have not usually give it a day at about 20C then pitch, no problems and short lag times for me! I wouldnt trust them in the normal post in the summer tho. It would be useless if left on a van over the weekend.

The smack packs are great yeast, but like all yeast they really need a starter and to ensure your pitch rate is correct. If you notice wyeast says the smack packs are designed to inoculate 5 gallons of "average" wort. Average wort is that which is 1.045 and below. I don't know about you, but just about every beer in my notebook is between 1.065 and 1.115 OG. This of course requires at least 2 smack packs in a starter.

As for the package bursting, there is no reason to worry about that. The package will contain the C02 created by activating the yeast. The yeast only have a small amount if nutrients in the bag, so once they eat that (12-24 hours) they can not make any more C02. In fact it's best to use these packs no later than the 24 hour mark or the cells will start rapidly dying and going into hibernation.

Back