Liquid yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
So far have used Nottingham and Safale 05 yeasts but looking to try liquid yeast for the first time. Recipe I am looking at calls for WLP007.

Have seen several Youtube videos and read up on articles on here and looks fairly straight forward. Seems like boil up water, add DME, cool, pitch liquid yeast, leave for 2 days and then put into sterilised bottles and keep in fridge until ready to use. Is this summary correct?

When doing a brew, is it then just a question of pouring one of the bottles of prepared yeast / DME mixture into the cooled wort after the boil as with dried yeast?

A couple of questions
1. Seem to be varying quantities of water / DME being used. What is the optimum?
2. How long will the yeast starter keep in the fridge?

Here's what I do. Measure out the water, add DME, bring to boil, cool in ice bath, pitch the vial or smackpack of yeast.

I use this site to figure out how big of a starter to make:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

When I figure out the volume of starter needed based on my original gravity, I use a 10:1 ratio. For every 10ml of water I add 1 gram of DME. So, for a 2L starter, I'd add 200gm of DME. This gives me a starter wort of around 1.040. I typically time my starters so they are ready to pitch on brewday but you can store in the fridge for a few weeks if needed. I ferment the starter on the kitchen counter top. When it has finished fermenting, I put it in the fridge (typically the night before brewing.) This allows the yeast to settle to the bottom. Then, on brew day, I carefully decant the liquid off the top of the starter, leaving the yeast and a little bit of liquid behind. When I'm ready to pitch, I swirl it all around to break up the yeast clumps that stick to the bottom and then pitch the whole lot into the FV.

It is a very simple process.

Baz

Latest posts

Back