Free Brewery Yeast From Manchester!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello!

I work for Joseph Holts brewery on the managed pub side. I have been talking to the Head Brewery Keith Sheard about their yeasts. The brewery makes a range of about 8-10 beer anually including the mainstays of Bitter 4.0%, Mild 3.8%, IPA 3.8%, Crystal Lager 3.8% and Diamond Lager 5.0%. After some email conversations and abit of googling and poking my nose in I know that they only use 2 yeasts in the brewery 1: ale yeast (which appears to be an original of the brewery ~150 years old) and 2: Lager yeast which is I am 99% sure carlsbergensis.

Keith is offered for me to come down and take a live yeast sample from one of the conical's (ale yeast) but is funny about taking the lager yeast on the same day (understandably due to cross condamination).

Keith has said hes is happy to share some yeast with me as a homebrewer, I am going to go down over the next month at some point and take about 4 litres of ale yeast with me (and hopefully find out the strain!). Would any one be interested in having some? I will prob only use about 500ml to pitch with in the first month so would be more than happy to share.

You would have to pick up from stockport or arrange postage,

If you havnt tried holts beer they tend in my opinion to be quite bland.. with bitter flavour but little arroma. They dont dry hop and only cask after a period of maturation in tanks, but it seems to me it would be good if you will a nice neutral ale yeast?

I'll do a test batch and report back as I am welcome to collect more if I wish.

I dont really have the inclination to make lager beers properly so I am not really interested in the carlsbergensis but if someone local would benifit I dont mind going down to the brewery and getting some?

If someone wants to come down and do a brewday with me (very near station) and collect some that would be good as well.! :thumb:

D

(Stockport Central SK38DZ)

I would be interested in same ale yeast :thumb: would be able to collect as well.

Cheers

Alistait

Back