Craft Brew: 50 homebrew recipes from the world

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone got this book? Any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0711237336/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

51VigKivaxL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting - the Anchor and Brooklyn recipes would interest me! Obviously lying for Brewdog recipes is completely unnecessary these days, but it would be interesting to see how these recipes compare to those in DIY Dog.

It looked good till I did the preview, not one recipe on preview
How we ment to judge it's wurth

You can see the list of recipes on Amazon (not the actual recipes though, that would be daft). Not sure I'd bother as I don't know most of the beers but I guess useful inspiration if you're after something similar to a commercial beer you like.

I've only had a few, not ones I'd be bothered with recreating myself.

you can see the kernel India porter recipe on the preview shots on the amazon link. I have tried to add an image as an attachment

india porter.jpg

That's interesting, Kernel has a house yeast. I thought it was just a standard American Ale yeast available from homebrew stores? A lot of their beers are bottle conditioned so could just harvest their yeast.

you can see the kernel India porter recipe on the preview shots on the amazon link. I have tried to add an image as an attachment

Haha, cool.! I'll not be buying the book now then!

Actually, I still might... it looks ok for the price. :thumb:

Delivered today and I'm impressed at first glance, the recipes have plenty of detail (altho I can't see the IBUs for each recipe!) and include a good description of each beer. I'll give it a proper read over the next few days and post again.

Are there any other Kernel recipes in there? The (London) Brick Red for example?

I've heard several people say kernel uses us-05. Not sure how accurate the rumours are but they might tell you if you ask them. I spoke to one of the brewers at brew by numbers and he was pretty open about what yeast he uses for different brews.

I know you can't post up the recipe, but how close am I to Anchor Steam with my California Common recipe? Mine is very nice, but it lacks a bit of body (yeast took it down to 1.009), and could do with more bitterness. I'd aimed to make it with a lower ABV than Anchor Steam (aiming for 4.7% compared to 4.9%) but actually managed to (just) exceed it at 4.92%.

450g (10%) crystal 120L
4.25kg (90%) lager malt

75g Northern Brewer split 28g for 60, 25g for 15 and 22g at flameout.

MJ California Lager yeast.

Back