Bri's fermentation thingy WIP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those glass shelves safe with at least 25 Kilo sat on them?

Hi!
I think Brian's testing the layout of the fridge; I believe he intends to cut plywood shelves to fit the existing grooves.

@Manxnorton: the sensor cable for the Inkbird will sit nicely under the door seal - mine was located there for a year without any problems.
If you use something like this you could fit a blow-off tube in the tight headroom above each FV: http://www.paulbparts.com/product/3-8-x-3-8-elbow-hose-barb-poly-adapter/
(It's a US site - I used it purely as an illustration. They are easily available in the UK)

Hi!
I think Brian's testing the layout of the fridge; I believe he intends to cut plywood shelves to fit the existing grooves.

@Manxnorton: the sensor cable for the Inkbird will sit nicely under the door seal - mine was located there for a year without any problems.
If you use something like this you could fit a blow-off tube in the tight headroom above each FV: http://www.paulbparts.com/product/3-8-x-3-8-elbow-hose-barb-poly-adapter/
(It's a US site - I used it purely as an illustration. They are eascily available in the UK)

Thx guys,
I went to wicked..oops wickes they don't cutting...I got a 12 x 606 x 1220mm hardboard plywood for £11.39...got nuff for two boards n nuff for the small fridge..
Measuring a doddle! With loads of clamps

Cutting was harder but done it!!

So before I fitted them my batteries went flat...so the cutting holes will have to wait!!
Thinking there be nuff holes to get through from the bottom slelf...what u think so far..and should I do more holes???
Like I said just started on the bottom shelf...

Looking good so far I'll take a pic on fitting..
Thx for viewing and commenting :-)

Phase 2 small fridge.

Still to do the holes..and have to prop the shelf up a bit getting over the heater!!
But one thing is ok,..I think

Well some learning again...mistake done...rectified as best I can..
All to play for tomorrow!!!
:-)

Looking good Bri, I would consider adding a fan too, a simple pc case fan powered by a redundant phone charger is good enough for most folk.

Imho Its best to keep the air moving inside as then it can transfer the heat or cold from their respective radiators to the fermenting vessels much more effectively and efficiently. The air inside your fridge is the medium by which temperature change is effected in the brews. so relying on convection alone to move the air may not be prudent ;)

Look at the top end domestic fridges and most of the commercial fridges, they generally contain fans for just this reason. while some have fans cleverly wired up with the controller to only come on when heating or cooling is on, i simply run mine off the fridge main power in so its on 24/7 with the fridge,

Just dont epoxy the fan to the fridge shell like i did DOH!! as after a few years the fan may die, and if epoxied to the thin plastic shell you may find yourself gutting fan#1 to become the mount for fan #2..

also when it comes to threading heater flex, fan power and probes through the drain hole. the flex supplied with the tube heaters is quite bulky, but as it only demands 40-60w of power similar to an incandescent light bulb, its perfectly safe and acceptable to rewire the tube heater with thinner lighting flex, and the cheapest bell/speaker wire going will be sufficient to carry the dc voltage to a pc fan..

cheers..

Morning all
I get to responding questions asap..
But at the mo it's measure twice cut once I'm afraid!!
Mind with my brain it'll be slow!
Just over cut the the shelf!! Tied it!!
Then use my lil plane...
All good so far

The problems are (for my thinking that's is!)
1. Am I going to put two batches in one time.....do I drink loads...???
Probably not!
But I'll set up for two! Just invade.
2. Which fridge to use for chilling the corni keg...?
Either one...but I'm doing the same shelf type with the small fridge so I can use it for either lager or coni keg
3. Options are quite a few?
As long as I've set up for all options.
I'm nearly done with the tall fridge, but the small one needs a removable shelf with legs!! (Over the heater)
So....once I finish the second shelf on the tall one...wire the plug and wait to switch one the whole fridge and make sure the temp controls etc work!! OBVIOUSLY CLEAN IT FIRST!!
Pics tbc

Hi!
I've had two brews going at once - one beer, one wine (one for me, one for her!)
I've also had a beer fermenting on the bottom shelf and bottles carbonating on the top shelf, so having the two-shelf setup in the tall fridge gives you more options.
I can just see the small fridge with a corny chilling inside and your beer tap on the door :thumb:

When the tall fridge is nearly ready!
Just need to get it running and put the icebird in and then....tweak!!!

Been exiting...learning on the job!!
Couldn't do it without your help and encouragement tbh!!
Still got answer a few post!!
But our lass want to go out for a meal and a bit shopping :-(
She deserve my attention tbh lol
Thx for viewing

Hi!
I've had two brews going at once - one beer, one wine (one for me, one for her!)
I've also had a beer fermenting on the bottom shelf and bottles carbonating on the top shelf, so having the two-shelf setup in the tall fridge gives you more options.
I can just see the small fridge with a corny chilling inside and your beer tap on the door :thumb:

Thx Colin,
Good idea..for carbing the bottles! :-)
Like you said I can do a FV and bottles carbed at the same time..
Hmmmmm are you thinking putting the tap drill through? Or just clamp it on?

Hi!
There's no electrics or cooling circuit in the door. I would hesitate to drill anywhere but the door.
This photo is to give you the idea - forget about the "instructions".

image.jpeg

Mornin m8.
I could do that!! Ha ha! Why not!!
He he! Now I'm nearly finished...
Can u remember our cofersations about 'No DIY' and people saying you can!! Well I'm chuffed I listened...it's in my blood not to try things with my so called disibilty.
Thinking back I went from a wheel chair couldn't walk, move my arm, leg and couldn't speak or read n write!! Then two years one look at I can do!! Not trying to say 'look at me' as a lot of people have suffered and got there...but it how you go about getting better....brute force determination..motivation and above all laugh and enjoy it!
Looking back my life is long lesson to regain what I lost and how to make most of my situation...
Ok I'll never run a marathon..or use my two hand again! But 7 days a week I'm exercising...& you know what (I've not mention it before!) I'm slowly get some % in my bad arm!! Slowly but it look a simple task...but if I can grip a item and learnt the muscle memory again anythings possible!! All about ongoing theropy!!
And I love it
A bottle now!!! A screwdriver etc tomorow!! Lol
I take my hat off to you all for helping me doesn't matter how much yous help, but yous gave me a bit of a kick in the ****! And kindly mentor my progress...it not a bad life being me!! I'm alive and I'm enjoying my hobby..and being able to learn.
Sermon over!!

Unfortunately today I'm driving up Scotland to drop of beers to my pal, then back via dropping lagers to another pal...then a cuppa with my Mam and back to HQ HB...a few miles!! Might be able to do something on the project(s)
Prob hoover etc after drilling then holes...bloody shavings and dust gets all ova..
:-)

Looking good Bri, I would consider adding a fan too, a simple pc case fan powered by a redundant phone charger is good enough for most folk.

Imho Its best to keep the air moving inside as then it can transfer the heat or cold from their respective radiators to the fermenting vessels much more effectively and efficiently. The air inside your fridge is the medium by which temperature change is effected in the brews. so relying on convection alone to move the air may not be prudent ;)

Look at the top end domestic fridges and most of the commercial fridges, they generally contain fans for just this reason. while some have fans cleverly wired up with the controller to only come on when heating or cooling is on, i simply run mine off the fridge main power in so its on 24/7 with the fridge,

Just dont epoxy the fan to the fridge shell like i did DOH!! as after a few years the fan may die, and if epoxied to the thin plastic shell you may find yourself gutting fan#1 to become the mount for fan #2..

also when it comes to threading heater flex, fan power and probes through the drain hole. the flex supplied with the tube heaters is quite bulky, but as it only demands 40-60w of power similar to an incandescent light bulb, its perfectly safe and acceptable to rewire the tube heater with thinner lighting flex, and the cheapest bell/speaker wire going will be sufficient to carry the dc voltage to a pc fan..

cheers..

Hallow m8,
I've already got the fans and the power pack...but need a backing plate on then..but looking at the fans they look and sound like a challenger tank fans going off!!
To me, if the fans sent really needed (could a personal view from others that made one!) I don't know!
I see the idea exactly that they provide etc. But it's all about my ability to do them properly..time..safely with electives :-) and I'm thinking the fans are too big for what I want!!
I've only seen one setup that uses the small fans..but not wanting fluff any feathers on others point of view...but are they needed tbh!!

As usual I thank any suggestions and love learning and working out if things can be done...
Slowly I must admit!! Lol
Is simple! Does the job! And not tasking in my tiny brain...that's the question lol
Catch ya later pal

Latest posts

Back