ACE Microbrewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a strange one yesterday. During the boil the ACE didn't reach 100C at any stage so the timer didn't start. I timed it on my phone so it was OK, but not sure why it got "stuck" on 99C - it worked fine the first time.
That's why there is a calibration setting on the panel. Press + and -

Are we talking about the knock off switch? I had a problem playing around with temperature control during a boil had to transfer to my BM but after giving the base a good clean with half a grapefruit came good.
Vinegar works better

Mate if you could see all the limes, lemons and grapefruit I have in my garden you wouldn't even bother taking the top of a vinegar bottle, both work the same just one is acetic and one is citric.

I have been getting to know my Ace better, boil off, liquor loss to grain, (though that is no different to my BM) but got a great boil on 2000 watt setting with the hood on and kept the loss to boil down, even had a boil over towards the end which I found unusual.

003.JPG

That's why there is a calibration setting on the panel. Press + and -

Yeah I know about that (and that it resets each time you turn the machine off) - but having worked perfectly the first time, it took me by surprise when it went wrong the second time. Also - it held the mash temperature correctly, so recalibrating would have meant the mash temp would have been wrong if I'd recalibrated it at the beginning.

It's no biggy, my phone has an accurate timer - I just wondered if anyone else has seen the same thing or have any ideas as to why it would start happening.

I had a strange one yesterday. During the boil the ACE didn't reach 100C at any stage so the timer didn't start. I timed it on my phone so it was OK, but not sure why it got "stuck" on 99C - it worked fine the first time.

Hey Dave, don't forget to calibrate especially during the boil. The Ace is notorious for being stuck at '99c' at full boil. If this happens press the - and + at the same time to go into calibration. Press the + just once and that should put you at the 100c.

Hi everyone.... first time poster. Just got myself an ACE microbrewery and did my first brew at the weekend. I too noted the 99C issue and just timed it manually. I also noted it was seriously slow at draining unless I scraped a paddle off the hop filter. That aside, I'm very happy with my purchase... nice to get more volume out of a brew than from my 12l BIAB set up from before.

Out of curiosity, how do you clean your system after a brew? I rinsed mine out with warm water then wiped it down with a lemon. Then filled it with 10l of water and brought it up to 65C and then left the pump running for 10 mins to clear that out. Does anyone use a no rinse sanitiser or steriliser on it and do they run it through the pump?

Cheers!

What I now do is, put in some clean water about 100 to 125 mm heat to 55 degree's add some sodium percarbonate and let it flush through. Why, the recirculating pipe is an ideal place for mould, just put a pull through, through it and see what comes out. Let it dry thoroughly before putting it away, I repeat this before I am going to brew as well.

I have Ivitro NoRinze. I will run some of that through before I next brew. My concern about doing so before was uncertainty over it staying in the pump. The instructions say not to run the ACE without water present in in the boiler, so I thought some of the solution may get left in the pump. The NoRinze instructions say not to leave it in a closed environment once in solution. I suppose I could run it again the next morning (after sanitizing) with just water and then brew immediately after.

Had to look up what Norinze is, it is sodium percarbonate, just reduces to water, I buy mine in bulk 20 kg bags but can be unstable if you don't store correctly. Sodium perborate does the same job and is more stable. Just not as environmentally friendly.

Just ordered the smartPID.com controller to replace the stock Klarstein/ACE controller. I really like they have a complete replacement kit to include a filler panel and that it controls the pump as well. I was really bummed the stock controller needed power cycled at times. Has anyone had some experience with the smartPID.com controller? In keeping with the great feedback here I will post my experience with it.

Chuck

Chuck, thanks for the heads up on the smartpid replacement. I watched this for a while while in development thinking it looked like a replacement for the stock controller at some point...then forgot about it! Nice to see it’s now a full kit, I think this will be ordered come next pay day. Keep us posted when you get it and try it out! Interested to see how it handles the heating element, like you I didn’t like the cycling. Did consider trying to retrofit the new grainfather controller but decided it was a costly risk if didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewhound,

the Grainfather controller can relatively easy be retrofitted. There are a few steps needed like fitting a well for the temp sensor, mounting the controller on the Ace and total recabling. The elements, overheating thermostat and the pump are all resusable. The only real problem is that the spade connectors sit really tight and I ended up needing to replace the overheating thermostat. After a few brews now I dare to say it works just fine.

Chuck, thanks for the heads up on the smartpid replacement. I watched this for a while while in development thinking it looked like a replacement for the stock controller at some point...then forgot about it! Nice to see it’s now a full kit, I think this will be ordered come next pay day. Keep us posted when you get it and try it out! Interested to see how it handles the heating element, like you I didn’t like the cycling. Did consider trying to retrofit the new grainfather controller but decided it was a costly risk if didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I saw a mention by MagicPancake about moding the controller and hit up good old Google. After some digging I saw the smartPID kit and with clean look, the simple programming, and price point I was sold. Davide (Mr. smartPID) has been very responsive thus far. I must say unless you are comfortable/experienced with electrical you might want to hold off for now. There is no step by step instructions with the kit, and it is clear from the Italian video there are wires and connectors that I expected would be included in a full kit. I just emailed Davide with my concerns and am sure he will followup. Still I am excited about the potential enough I am considering another smartPID to manage my fermentation fridge. I'll keep updating as things progress.

Here are some pics from the delivery.

Packaging (for those who care)
Fbl5szu.png

Opened
https://i.imgur.com/gtzHXeD.png

Unwrapped
https://i.imgur.com/44ZEqyw.png

Ugh!!! Now I one of those "unboxing" types.

Chuck

Back