Rehydrating Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I capture and hold the stir bar with a magnet on the outside of the flask

I sanitise the telescopic magnet in the photograph and then (from the outside of the glass) I use it to capture the spinner and slide it up and out of the jug ... :thumb:

... now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Essential Kit.jpg

While I'm on can you tell me how to use spray malt if a kit says to add that for bottling.
Don't bother with the spray malt for bottling, save it for something else. It doesn't dissolve at all well and the contribution to the end flavour is negligible in the quantities used.
Use ordinary table sugar for bottling, it's cheap and it dissolves easily. And use this to calculate how much sugar to use according to beer style.
Beer Priming Calculator - Brewer's Friend

Trying a Brewferm Triple and had never rehydrated yeast before. Followed instructions but I'm not seeing much activity in FV. I've got to admit I'm a bit of a airlock watcher (though I know it doesn't mean owt) so I'm worried I knacked up the yeast. I'm hoping the water was the right temperature. I only used luke warm tap water. It's been 48 hrs the starting gravity was as stated oh and I'm a pig and doubled everything up so two tins went in.
Doing a bad cat red as well and thats away like the clappers

I know it's been only since yesterday, hows the air lock now? Check for air leaks in the lid (has happened to me before)

Re hydrating yeast is ideal before pitching as it allows a less stressful environment to 'wake up' before going to work (though not necessary). So you were not wrong there.

Hard to tell how viable the yeast was, whats the date on the packet of yeast?

I'd say if no activity, get a another packet of yeast!

Hi all, it's been 8 days and although not a lot happening I've just done an hydrometer reading and it's already at 1.010!!??. Instructions say to leave for ten days then transfer to another clean FV for up to two weeks for clarification then when it's at 1.010 you can bottle. I do have another FV but I was going to leave it in first FV for 17 days, transfer to second FV and leave for about 22 days, I work offshore that long. Will it be ok to leave it that long or should I just bottle before I go away on the 26th. Well I'm going to bottle half and mini keg the rest

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. A little update. I moved the Triple into a secondary fermenter for week which was a week gone Friday, and as I'm away for three weeks tomorrow decided to keg and bottle said Triple. The wife is also sick of losing the cupboard under the stairs when I have FV's on the go. I've got a final hydrometer reading of 1.009 and had a taste of the sample.........bloody hell this is going to be strong. I've ended up with 4 gallon of Triple which has gone into two 5l mini kegs with the rest bottled and gone into the attic. I'm going to try and just leave it up there to condition with my Bad Cat Imperial Red but knowing me I'll crack one open when I get home after three weeks.
So all in all, not much activity in the initial fermenter to be seen, then into second fermenter which did clear the Triple well, as there was quite a bit of sediment left in this. And its looking like a strong beer once conditioned. Fingers crossed
Again thanks for the replies.

Craig

Latest posts

Back