Hydrometer reading pic

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi, what would you read this as? Never used one before.
view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhQG7zbNKzZUzNBNm9hQXR3Qjg/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks

Edit : for some reason this forum won't display the image of my Hydrometer, please follow the link if it works. Also if there is a knack to getting images to work, please can someone explain it to me?

Thanks

Definitely depends on the particular hydrometer being read.

For over 60 years I have been reading a hydrometer from the bottom of the meniscus ... :thumb:

... but my Wilco Hydrometer (bought last year) instructs me to take the reading from the top of the meniscus. :doh:

In view of this, I reckon that the SG of the example could be anything from 1.038 (bottom of meniscus) to 1.034 (top of meniscus).

Reading Hydrometer.jpg

... but my Wilco Hydrometer (bought last year) instructs me to take the reading from the top of the meniscus. :doh:

That is bizarre and contradicts all other advice ive read.....and common sense, typo maybe?

That is bizarre and contradicts all other advice ive read.....and common sense, typo maybe?

No, It's like Dutto says, Wilko hydrometer read from the top of the meniscus. Dutto mentioned this a little while ago so I tested my wilko thermometer with water. It reads 1.000 at the top of the meniscus

Neatly done ... :thumb:

... but you can't change the "Quote"!! :whistle: :whistle: (Actually as a Mod I can. ;))

Damnable Spillchuckers eh?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I'm not understanding is why it would be boiling at 1.000? I'm given to understand that to test a hydrometer, you use water, at ideally 20C, and if it is accurate the reading will be 1.000

What I'm not understanding is why it would be boiling at 1.000? I'm given to understand that to test a hydrometer, you use water, at ideally 20C, and if it is accurate the reading will be 1.000

But you tested the meniscus of your Wilco THERMOMETER at 1.000 and for it to be there it had to be boiling didn't it?

Geddit? :lol:

Latest posts

Back