Plastic fermentation vessel recommendations please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveWTBD

Reaction score
Hi folks

I was just about to buy a 25 litre plastic bucket FV off Amazon, when I started to read the reviews. I realise that not all plastic buckets are the same. I have learnt the "buy cheap buy twice" lesson and do not need any revision!!

What make/model of fermentation vessel do you recommend and why, please?

Would it be a mistake to buy one without a tap?

All comments will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Hi folks

I was just about to buy a 25 litre plastic bucket FV off Amazon, when I started to read the reviews. I realise that not all plastic buckets are the same. I have learnt the "buy cheap buy twice" lesson and do not need any revision!!

What make/model of fermentation vessel do you recommend and why, please?

Would it be a mistake to buy one without a tap?

All comments will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

I have 3 youngs 25L fermenters. Just basic plasic buckets. It's fine to use ones without a tap but you need a syphon to get the beer out once fermented

I have 4 buckets and only one has a tap which I use for bottling.
I have found that any from LHB or wilkos isgood enough for what I need them for

I have two of these in fermenting service ...

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-fermenting-bin-and-lid-25l/invt/0022555

... and two others used as a container for my malt mill and as a water heater for strike and sparge water.

At ten quid each, they are cheap enough to change out if and when they become scratched. They then make useful containers for other use, as above, or as storage bins etc.

I also have one of these ...

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-acces...ide-neck-fermentation-vessel-23l/invt/0075885

... that I use as a Bottling Bucket.

I like the 30 lire capacity too - some yeasts need that extra room!

Recently swapped from my 18 month old youngs fv, that seemed to seal better than its replacement

+1 for 30 litre buckets, I've not had a blow out yet with mine. I put a tap on my original 25 litre Wilkos bucket and keep it for bottling.

Hi!
I like the buckets from The Range simply because they are lower in height than others; they fit better in my brew fridge.
I only have one bucket with a tap - my bottling bucket. I don't ferment in it.

Conversely my Youngs 27L FVs are tall, narrow and have a small footprint so I can fit two nicely on my kitchen work top in the corner

I use one like this, but mine is the 30lit. one came with a tap and a good airlock. Very solid but not cheap
Abetter view is on page 44 of the Greg Hughes book

plastic-fermenter-120-litre.jpg

I use one like this, but mine is the 30lit. one came with a tap and a good airlock. Very solid but not cheap
Abetter view is on page 44 of the Greg Hughes book

Where would I get one of them from
I'd love a 40 litre, just not available

Where would I get one of them from
I'd love a 40 litre, just not available
The brew shop.com in Stockport
They do 30, 60/ 120 and 210lit.
Here's a link
I'd give them a phone first, must say they have been a good company to deal with.
Or your local HBS may stock them
Cheers

I actually use Young's and Ritchie's wine wide neck fermentation buckets for primary because you can really get a good seal with petroleum jelly around the cap. I even, shock,gasp, horror - use them for both beer and wine.
I get to hear bubble bubble bubble too :-D

I use bog standard young's buckets for secondary conditioning.

I never know what is supposed to be "right", but I make beer I like drinking and my friends like drinking, so hey, works for me.

I've been using one of these from the Maltmiller for a while now and would recommend - I like the 30L capacity as I can brew 24-25L without a problem:-

http://themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=363
I have a couple like this. They are sturdy, seal well and the 30l means they don't overflow. However the plastic is more brittle than the youngs etc clear ones and the lid edges snap if you're not careful pulling the lid off (needs quite a bit of force).

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back