Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P2k_war

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sorry I'm completely new to home brewing, have no idea what I'm doing and am getting confused with all the different options.

I'm in the uk ( not sure where most users are and if that will change names of things) I was recently given an ale bar hand pump ( like the one in this link http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/272584569026?_mwBanner=1) and want to start home brewing. I would like to make ale. Does this mean I don't need any co2? Also any advice on what keg/barrell to get and how I can connect it to the hand pump would be really helpful.

Cheers in advance!

Hi!
You have a beer engine!
It serves beer by suction, i.e. it pulls the beer from the keg rather than gas pressure pushing it.
A quick browse suggests that collapsible polypins are good containers to use. Standard 3/8 inch beer line seems to be the preferred way to connect the engine to the beer and a non-return valve is usually placed in the system.

Be aware that using hand pumps limits the freshness and longevity of your ale,and must be drank fairly rapidly or it will go off,that's why either folk bottle or initially more expensive get themselves a co2 set up which pushes the beer out without O2 contamination.horses for courses as they say

Latest posts

Back