fridge-freezer as brew fridge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0nderW0man

Regular.
Reaction score
Is there a way to use the fridge section as a brew fridge (with inkbird and heater) but keep the freezer section as a freezer? I assume that it won't work unless you can split the plug or something.

Is there a way to use the fridge section as a brew fridge (with inkbird and heater) but keep the freezer section as a freezer? I assume that it won't work unless you can split the plug or something.

If you've got seperate thermostats for the fridge and the freezer (the twisty knob thingies), it is possible to do what you want, but some only have the one. It's not gonna work with just the one knob...even if you ARE W0nder W0man...sorry..!

Just would be good as most available ones are fridge-freezers and we could do with an extra freezer unit for the dog's food :P

Just would be good as most available ones are fridge-freezers and we could do with an extra freezer unit for the dog's food :P

I think you'll need seperate fridge and freezer to do what you want, then the inkbird arrangement would work with the fridge. And the new freezer would be ok for the dog. Or...trade in the dog for a tortoise..?

if its a freebie fridge freezer its worth a punt, simply plug it into the inkbird cold socket and a heater in the fridge too.
I would mount the heater away from the freezer and add a pc fan to blow over the heater directly. And stick a max/min thermometer in the freezer during brew #1

it will tell you how the freezer section reacts to brewfridge control, and if the freezer will be viable for food storage,

to be on the safe side run it as a fridge freezer for a few hours/overnight before plugging it into the inkbird @ the target temp and adding a brew.

you will probably find brewing ales @18c will have a knock on effect to the freezer and warm it up as a consequence.

Now you may be able to counter this by adding insulation to the fridge bottom/freezer top?? but test with something removable first as when it comes to crash chilling or lagering you may wish to remove said extra insulation.

edit** bin bag full of vermiculite or perlite would make a good easy to fit bottom of fridge insulator ;)

Folk have come a cropper trying to build a 2 chamber brewfridge from a fridge freezer and afaik most attempts at that have been a massive fail.

I think it may work well enough for dog food however especially if you load the top shelf of the freezer with ice water boxes as a cold store too..

go for it....

if the freezer compartment gets too warm during a brew. a more hands on hack may be doable but it depends on the fridge freezer..

Sorry Fil. But I'm not sure your idea will work. As a fridge freezer uses only one plug, if you power it via an inkbird then the freezer will obviously only be on when the IB turns on the fridge. This would be ok if you're lagering as the fridge would be on a lot more of the time. Still not ideal though as you really want your freezer on all the time.

I reckon what our man should do is get into the guts of the machine and split the power sources to the two compartments. Then he could run the fridge through the IB and the freezer directly.

It shouldn't be too tricky. The single power supply clearly splits at some point. Locate where that is and determine if there is a voltage change involved. Then separate off the fridge and rewire it to the IB.

I've been considering something similar. But running both compartments through their own IB unit, forming a doubledecker brew fridge.

Temp variation between the two areas wouldn't be an issue as they are designed to insulate between temp differences of about 25 degrees anyway. Although I'm not sure about the 35-40 degree difference you'd get if you still used the freezer as a freezer.

If you have a top end 2 x compressor systems or a switched coolant flow, but most budget fridge freezers afaik operate with a single compressor and 2 x thermostats both of which can trigger active chilling, more chill applied to the freezer section by earlier and longer flow for the coolant than in the fridge radiator. a bit of incidental over chiilling of either compartment isnt going to be a noticable problem..

saying most above is a bit ott as tbh i have only checked out the one dead zannussi Fridge freezer a pal had when it was offered to me.. but thats how it appeared that was operated..

but thats why i suggested running with the first brew with a max/min thermometer only in the freezer compartment
as that will tell you if the freezer remains viable.

If not then supplying power to the compressor via the freezer trigger and the inkbird to trigger the compressor for the fridge, and rely on the heater to dispel any excess heat in the fridge as a consequence of maintaining the freezer at optimum temp. may be a viable route? running costs would be higher if the compressor input for the freezer fights too hard with fridge heating tho.

It would be worth a punt if I can get a free one, but the ones available in the area are 30 quid for the cheapest. Still worth a try though, thinking about it. Also I think I would use the brew fridge mainly for lager, so on the colder side of the brew spectrum. Wonder if that would work with the freezer on then.

Back